DIR & Dive Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a DIR setup and I like my computer. I dive only open water and by myself sometimes. I rely on myself though to get me out of a situation. my computer is only there to advise me of what going on it does not make me surface or go deeper. And it will not help me swim back to my boat if there is a swift current. It is like a dive buddy to me. It does not help me only advises me. I have to make decisions and no my limits. I even rember a few times that I dove without one I used my experice not my equipment to make decisions. million dollar dive computer wont make you a million dollar diver. If you are out of shape or inexperieced it will only be a expensive watch on a dead body.

When you start to realize that DIR is a system for extreme technical diving that was systematically devolved to standard recreational diving, and that the system as a whole is fundamentally designed so that nothing *changes* as you "progress" from a rec diver to an extreme technical diver, and that the system's absolute *focus* is to provide a way to be as safe and consistent as humanly possible across all types of diving, the "strictness" of DIR at the recreational level becomes clear.

In the end, no one really cares if you're DIR or not, particularly if you're "just" a rec diver. You can feel free to deviate here or there, just be sure you're using your head, thinking things through, and be on absolutely the same page as your buddy.

Be careful, you'll get chewed up for the DIR comment. Better take a better look at what DIR actually is (I've already been through the pressure cooker). Besides, you kinda resurrected a 4 year old thread.

Er, holy crap. I saw Lost Yooper's name on the second page and realized this wasn't a recent thread.

Over 4 years old! Wooo..

If you bought a dive computer when this thread started, I hope you've replaced the batteries. If you used dive tables, no worries...

This thread is an interesting read. Particularly as I stare at the dive computers on the arms of the divers in the current Halcyon catalog.

Actually DIR divers use a lot of divecomputers, but instead of wristtop they use laptops. The calculations are just written down on the slate and followed during the dive..something like "Plan your dive and dive your plan"..

TeddyDiver:
The calculations are just written down on the slate and followed during the dive..

DIR divers normally use wetnotes. :D

TeddyDiver:
The calculations are just written down on the slate
The same slate that George carried out of the mountains after talking to the burning bush?

PerroneFord:
This thread is an interesting read. Particularly as I stare at the dive computers on the arms of the divers in the current Halcyon catalog.
I just thumbed through my copy.

I see a lot of bottom timers, and a lot of computers that go into gauge mode. Those bottom timers aren't good below 333 feet yanno :wink:

Back
Top Bottom