DIR controversy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

minnesota01r6:
"I think OOG is the result of a poorly thought out dive. We should be taught how NOT to run out of gas in the first place."

That is not absurd at all and you are not getting that point. You can have a mechanical failure and lose your air and then go to your buddy's air, but if you run out of air because you are not paying attention or dicking around AND you have no buddy or redudancy, then that's inexcusable. Running out of air is very bad and there is little education in the area of how not to run out of air. A lot of technical diving training is teaching your how not to run out of air because then you are dead. This is not just DIR. I can quote you TDI if that's what you want.

You need more experience to really understand this.

I'm done. He doesn't seem to understand that being OOG without a buddy is the result of poor dive planning.

Thanks Red. Just running out of air is a very dumb thing to do and although I'm not DIR, I think I'm still qualified to make that observation.

Rick on reg , yea...I have never understood this issue very well, because the bungeed can be put in your mouth so very fast. No one should be grabbing me before I know what's going on anyway. I tend to stay away until I get that sympatico, sane look back.

RH....dead, dead?

I'm not sure what you all are arguing, just sounds good.

Diver Dennis:
Thanks Red. Just running out of air is a very dumb thing to do.
But you still need to be able to deal with it. Like Lamont said, there can be times where you are OOG because the gas is just inaccessible (a temp OOG scenario...which probably occurs quite often.)

TheRedHead:
I'm done. He doesn't seem to understand that being OOG without a buddy is the result of poor dive planning.

I was in that boat when I started out diving as well.

Thats why you stick with recreational NDL diving at first. Worst case, your buddy is gone and you're OOG and you CESA to the surface. And that worst case may happen because you don't have the tools to avoid it. The CESA was my warm safety blanket at first...

Eventually I started to realize that the equipment was reasonably decent, and gas didn't magically disappear, and then planning dives when losing your buddy and running OOG wasn't an option started to sound more reasonable (and CESAs started to seem really dumb).

JeffG:
But you still need to be able to deal with it. Like Lamont said, there can be times where you are OOG because the gas is just inaccessible (a temp OOG scenario...which probably occurs quite often.)

I'm not sure what you mean Jeff. You mean the time it takes to turn your pony or redundant gas on?

Diver Dennis:
I'm not sure what you mean Jeff. You mean the time it takes to turn your pony or redundant gas on?
Pony???? No stinking Pony in DIR :wink: but yes, or a valve on your backgas. (Example...lets say your valve was 1/2 on, you are good at the surface, but when you descend it doesn't work as good...call an OOG and then fix problem.)

Diver Dennis:

if you've got 3 deco bottles, 2 stages and backgas and the reg in your mouth isn't turned on its probably better to recognize that you're now in a cluster, OOG your buddy and then sort out the cluster at your leisure rather than escalating the cluster by rushing it and potentially breathing hyperoxic mix...

Back
Top Bottom