DIR controversy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never called him impotent or chicken. I think he's confusing me with herb...

It is called the "Taliban" Hank.

Don Janni:
All tech divers don't subscribe to the DIR regimen.

Ok, I stand corrected (many times). What I was trying to say was that some of the DIR gear and philosophy originated in tech diving and extreme environments, where it truly is a life or death matter. The long hose, for instance, is absolutely essential in cave diving or deep wreck diving where it may be impossible to swim side by side to buddy breathe. Before anyone corrects me again, I'm well aware that not all wreck diving is tech diving either, but some of the specialized gear was developed for tech and/or military divers and later found its way to DIR and other recreational divers.

My original point remains that there are various classes of divers, from casual recreational to DIR and tech, and as long as we make sure our buddies have the same goals and philosophies, we can all dive in the same ocean without getting in each other's way.

Cave Diver:
They think everyone else is "doing it wrong" is often thrown out as a reason why people don't participate in DIR. In reality, you'll find that most people that lean towards a more DIR approach are not likely to come up and tell you "you're gonna die!"

I never meant to suggest that all DIR divers actually tell other divers to their faces that they're doing it wrong. I'm sure many are very tolerant and agreeable people. I was only saying that the term "doing it right" could be interpreted to suggest that, which could lead to misunderstandings. This thread began with a question regarding why it's sometimes a controversial issue, and I was merely trying to address the question.

eric_in_az:
Ok, I stand corrected (many times). What I was trying to say was that some of the DIR gear and philosophy originated in tech diving and extreme environments, where it truly is a life or death matter. The long hose, for instance, is absolutely essential in cave diving or deep wreck diving where it may be impossible to swim side by side to buddy breathe. Before anyone corrects me again, I'm well aware that not all wreck diving is tech diving either, but some of the specialized gear was developed for tech and/or military divers and later found its way to DIR and other recreational divers.

My original point remains that there are various classes of divers, from casual recreational to DIR and tech, and as long as we make sure our buddies have the same goals and philosophies, we can all dive in the same ocean without getting in each other's way.

Okay, I understand and agree. If I was going to strap tanks under each arm and desend to 300', or go 1000' feet into a cave or penetrate the innerbowels of the Oriskany I would not do it wearing my Stiletto, my splits, my B2 or with the 22" hose on my Octo. (okay I really don't know exactly how long or short that hose is) Nor would I do it without a lot of training I don't have.

Thing is, I have no desire to do those things. So for the diving I do I DO-IT-RIGHT.

eric_in_az:
I never meant to suggest that all DIR divers actually tell other divers to their faces that they're doing it wrong. I'm sure many are very tolerant and agreeable people. I was only saying that the term "doing it right" could be interpreted to suggest that, which could lead to misunderstandings. This thread began with a question regarding why it's sometimes a controversial issue, and I was merely trying to address the question.

even if DIR people really do think that you're doing it wrong, why do you care what other people think about you?

Everyone thinks they're doing it right.

Think about it. If someone thought they were doing it wrong, they would do it in the way they thought was right.

Lamont is correct. Why care? Inquiring minds should research the history of GUE, DIR and the WKKP. George Irvine is quite a character, but most DIR divers here are reasonable folks. I used to feel defensive about the whole DIR name thing, but I'm past that now. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom