DIR controversy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
Everyone thinks they're doing it right.

and their wives disagree

jonnythan:

Think about it. If someone thought they were doing it wrong, they would do it in the way they thought was right.

I disagree. I do some things wrong. There are times when DIR takes a back seat to doing it easy. That's the case with the majority of rec divers. Most are not honest enough with themselves to see that.

TheRedHead:
Lamont is correct. Why care? Inquiring minds should research the history of GUE, DIR and the WKKP. George Irvine is quite a character, but most DIR divers here are reasonable folks. I used to feel defensive about the whole DIR name thing, but I'm past that now. :)
You're going die if you don't dive DIR.

lamont:
even if DIR people really do think that you're doing it wrong, why do you care what other people think about you?

I never said I care. I was only saying that the terminology could lead to misunderstanding, and misunderstandings can lead to conflicts. Open communication in a forum like this one is the best way to remedy those misunderstandings.

eric_in_az:
Open communication in a forum like this one is the best way to remedy those misunderstandings.
You misspelled propagate.

jonnythan:

Think about it. If someone thought they were doing it wrong, they would do it in the way they thought was right.
Well, when you think about it ... if they go down, come up, and manage to not injure themselves or anybody else, then they ARE doing it right ... what, after all, is the fundamental purpose of training?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

TheRedHead:
Lamont is correct. Why care? Inquiring minds should research the history of GUE, DIR and the WKKP. George Irvine is quite a character, but most DIR divers here are reasonable folks. I used to feel defensive about the whole DIR name thing, but I'm past that now. :)

After reading Bob's last post I've deleted my original comment.

TheRedHead:
Most people get over it ... some of the comments in this thread are strangely reminiscent of things I posted on this forum four years ago ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Well, when you think about it ... if they go down, come up, and manage to not injure themselves or anybody else, then they ARE doing it right ... what, after all, is the fundamental purpose of training?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'd say a lot of them are doing it lucky.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom