DIR controversy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that´s not DIR

I think a lot of the controversy stems from the phrase "doing it right" itself, which seems to imply everyone else is doing it wrong. I prefer the term tech diving, and I believe the oceans have enough room for both kinds of divers. Tech diving and its specialized gear evolved from "extreme" diving such as cave diving, wreck diving, and deep diving. I certainly wouldn't try anything extreme without the requisite gear and advanced training, and I'd want my buddy to be similarly prepared. However, I believe the average recreational diver who isn't going to dive in overhead environments or exceed the recreational limits for depth and no-decompression limits can safely dive with less exotic gear. Divers don't all have to be tech divers any more than everyone who drives a car has to be prepared to compete in NASCAR.

That's just my $.02 worth. I don't expect everyone to agree, but I think we should all be able to peacefully coexist.

eric_in_az:
I think a lot of the controversy stems from the phrase "doing it right" itself, which seems to imply everyone else is doing it wrong. I prefer the term tech diving, and I believe the oceans have enough room for both kinds of divers. Tech diving and its specialized gear evolved from "extreme" diving such as cave diving, wreck diving, and deep diving. I certainly wouldn't try anything extreme without the requisite gear and advanced training, and I'd want my buddy to be similarly prepared. However, I believe the average recreational diver who isn't going to dive in overhead environments or exceed the recreational limits for depth and no-decompression limits can safely dive with less exotic gear. Divers don't all have to be tech divers any more than everyone who drives a car has to be prepared to compete in NASCAR.

...just my $.02 worth.

All tech divers don't subscribe to the DIR regimen.

and not all DIR divers are tech divers

DIR-F is strictly a recreational diving class

and Pigs arn't chickens

but some cats are chickens (for example, my cat Gabe, the Biggest Wus
in the World)

well... not so much strictly as fundamentally so

:wink:

H2Andy:
but some cats are chickens (for example, my cat Gabe, the Biggest Wus
in the World)

Are you implying Jeff is a chicken since that post was made right after chickens?

TheRedHead:
Are you implying Jeff is a chicken since that post was made right after chickens?
NO....I am an Impotent man. and if I am goiong to be Impotent, then I should dress Impotent. I need to ask Dave about his tux.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom