DIR controversy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divinginn:
need a little humor in this thread

OK Here is my funny DIR story: A couple of years ago I was diving in the Gulf Of Mexico with my daughter. We were on a charter with about 12 strangers. As we reached our site there was a young fellow who was rigged and ready to go before the anchor was set, he was wearing a transpac and a bungeed second. A young woman on board noticed the bungeed second and asked:"What is that?" I told her it was an alternative to other methods of securing a second, when she asked why I was interrupted by the young man who exclaimed:" I am doing it right and you are going to die" he mentioned the unsafe configurations and practices of recreational divers then turned, and DIR Guy and his short hose went over the side, solo, with the current. I took great delight in watching the boat recover him later as he was unable to swim against the current. He ignored the predive briefing to waffle on about other's unsafe practices, and was not conditioned well enough to overcome a mild current.....

I believe he was an internet, or self proclaimed DIR guy....

This is why many folks get a bad taste about DIR, after meeting someone like this...

Or maybe the borg really are like this.....

THIS LAST STATEMENT IS A JOKE FOR THOSE WHO ARE HUMOR IMPAIRED!
See the apologies thread if I offended anyone

First of all, that current wasn't THAT strong. Secondly, I wasn't 'recovered', I was abducted.

adurso:
THIS LAST STATEMENT IS A JOKE FOR THOSE WHO ARE HUMOR IMPAIRED!
See the apologies thread if I offended anyone

Aren't jokes supposed to be funny? :)

I guess if you want to bash anybody for this thread, bash me. I started it but had no idea of the extent of acrimony related to the subject. I started the thread by saying that I wasn't sure if this was the right place but I did not even know what the DIR ideal was or why it seemed to bother people so much. It seemed like a general newbie kind of question to me. :11doh:

mudchick:
I guess if you want to bash anybody for this thread, bash me. I started it but had no idea of the extent of acrimony related to the subject. I started the thread by saying that I wasn't sure if this was the right place but I did not even know what the DIR ideal was or why it seemed to bother people so much. It seemed like a general newbie kind of question to me. :11doh:
I wouldn't worry about it. It's not the first time the fight has raged....and unfortunately I don't suppose it'll be the last. History.....doomed to repeat itself!

Originally Posted by NWGratefulDiver
So I don't think this has anything to do with a lack of diving ...

Actually...I haven´t dived since the weekend and I don´t think I´ll get to dive ´til next weekend...I don´t think I can respond to the true intent of that remark without violating TOS...although it might be fun to try if the abstinence gets too bad...

I also like this "disclaimer" (seems someone is a bit worried):
Originally Posted by catherine96821
(a joke, I like mods, I have good friends who are mods)

:banghead: Take this for what it may be worth which may not be much since this forum is the only place I've talked to anyone about DIR but it appears to me that there are some who attach themselves to a given methodology and within that training an "us" vs. "them" mentality develops. The same thing happens in many realms. Ever try to convince a Mac user that PC's are the way to go? Ever hear an argument about who was a better captain, Kirk or Picard? Joe Sakic vs. Steve Yzerman? Ovechkin vs. Crosby? etc., etc. But when we're talking about diving we're talking about stuff that will keep you alive in an environment not normal to humans. That turns the heat of the arguments up a notch or two. For myself, I'm not experienced enough in what I do now to make a value judgement on the DIR method. When/if I get to more advanced operations I will assess certain choices more closely. I just asked a question about something I didn't understand and now nations are about to be invaded! :banghead:

Mudchick,

From my point of view, the DIR "controversy" was created simply by what some would consider to be a poor choice of a descriptive adjective!

When the term was coined, it was applied to a very minute and specialized section of the diving community.

It's just that in today's world, everything is about "ME". Therefore, some recreational diver somewhere read about some cave divers "Doing It Right" and assumed, incorrectly of course, that those elitist snobs (not my assessment of DIR divers) were inferring that he was "Doing It Wrong", and thus the gauntlet was thrown down, and the diving world has never been the same, philosophically speaking.

A work of Shakespeare fits well into this "controversy" . . . "Much Ado About Nothing".

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom