DIR compliancy questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spectre:
Now think of what hand you would need to use to adjust your drysuit dump valve, or manually use it. on the left shoulder you would need to use your right hand... or get off your trigger to deal with it.

Hmmm ... not being someone who uses a scooter I'm curious ... is it considered normal to have to adjust your drysuit dump valve while scootering? Everyone I know sets the valve (typically to full-open or almost-open) and leaves it alone. In which case, drysuit dumping is virtually automatic ... or at worst as simple as rolling your left shoulder slightly upward. No hands required.

Is there something about scootering that makes this more difficult or impractical?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Nostromo:
I realize humor is a difficult thing to convey in this type of environment, so I apologize for not making my intentions better understood. The whole "screaming stroke at somebody" was a joke, and not something I would ever consider doing. Kind of like going to a Nazi driving school, but I digress. Anyway, concerning the cave cut, I read somewhere else on the DIR forum that it specifically was a method of simply getting a better custom fit by fudging certain measurements. You're saying that's not the case, so I'm curious as to what exactly would be "the body for it" e.g. measurements or overall proportions.

thanks,
e.a.e.

I see ... well, that sort of humor is like racist jokes ... some people think they're funny, but because they're generally considered disparaging most folks won't tell one in polite company.

Not interested in arguing ... only pointing out two simple truths ...

- Nobody ever became a better diver because somebody called them a stroke.
- Nobody ever made themselves look good by calling someone else a stroke.

To my concern, that sort of humor is best avoided by anyone considering DIR seriously ... it only makes you, and DIR in general, look bad.

About the suit ... if you're properly measured, you don't need to fudge numbers. And yes, I'm talking about body proportions.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

jplacson:
No no... I didn't mean the inflator... I meant a dump valve on a dry suit, not the wing. Sorry. I should've been more specific.
Oh... erm, a "shoulder dump" is probably more accurately stated as an "upper arm" dump. It's not going to be operable by your left hand, especially when wearing a drysuit and thick drysuit insulation. I can't press where my deltoid meets my tricep with my left hand anyway...

When you're just doing rec diving, your right hand isn't usually occupied with anything, unless you're dealing with an emergency. All it usually does is hold your light steady when you work something with your left hand. So, pretty much whenever you would need it to manually dump from the drysuit, it's free.

All that being said, shoulder dumps are usually "auto" dumps that are adjustable. It's DIR to set it to dump as much air as possible to maintain a good squeeze in the drysuit, so you'd rarely have to operate it with your hand anyway.

NWGratefulDiver:
To my concern, that sort of humor is best avoided by anyone considering DIR seriously ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
IMO, it's best avoided by anyone... full stop :wink:

NWGratefulDiver:
I see ... well, that sort of humor is like racist jokes ... some people think they're funny, but because they're generally considered disparaging most folks won't tell one in polite company.

Not interested in arguing ... only pointing out two simple truths ...

- Nobody ever became a better diver because somebody called them a stroke.
- Nobody ever made themselves look good by calling someone else a stroke.

To my concern, that sort of humor is best avoided by anyone considering DIR seriously ... it only makes you, and DIR in general, look bad.

About the suit ... if you're properly measured, you don't need to fudge numbers. And yes, I'm talking about body proportions.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Point taken. Consider it forever stricken, and I apologize for any offense I may have caused. I'm going to try to call this "Brando" probably tonight or tomorrow, and hopefully if I can get ahold of him I'll pose some of these questions to him and see what he recommends.

thanks again,
e.a.e.

His name is Brandon Schwartz...everyone calls him Brando for some reason, though :)

Nostromo:
Point taken. Consider it forever stricken, and I apologize for any offense I may have caused. I'm going to try to call this "Brando" probably tonight or tomorrow, and hopefully if I can get ahold of him I'll pose some of these questions to him and see what he recommends.

thanks again,
e.a.e.

Soggy:
His name is Brandon Schwartz...everyone calls him Brando for some reason, though :)
Yeah...I could never understand why folks started doing that...hmmm?? :D
ps....Nostromo, feel free to call me at 734-658-8153...always happy to talk.

dive safe!---brando

BCS:
Yeah...I could never understand why folks started doing that...hmmm?? :D
ps....Nostromo, feel free to call me at 734-658-8153...always happy to talk.

dive safe!---brando

Thanks, I'll do that.

I actually work with a guy everybody calls "Brando". Actually everybody but me, I call him "Spanky". But that's another story all together...

thanks,
e.a.e.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom