DIR compliancy questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nostromo:
Personally I kind of like the word "stroke". Its the sort of single syllable word you can really put some power behind when you scream it out at somebody.

Which is exactly what you should avoid doing ... unless your intent is to continue spreading the stereotype of the DIR diver as some sort of dive Nazi. That word, more than anything else, is what has given so much of the diving world a sour stomach every time someone mentions DIR.

If you think someone's an unsafe diver, either say something constructive or avoid them altogether. Otherwise, you're just going to make yourself look like the sort of jerk too many people already think of whenever someone brings up the topic of DIR.

Neither DIR, nor those of us who have adopted that methodology, need, want, or appreciate divers who go around screaming "stroke" at somebody. It's a sign of serious immaturity.

Nostromo:
As I thought I understood it, a cave cut wasn't about making a special purpose tight fitting suit, so much as it was about fudging the numbers to get a better fitting general use suit. DUI apparently has some problems converting custom numbers into an actual properly fitting suit, and certain fudge factors were supposed to compensate for that. That's kind of what I was asking about.

OK ... since you're asking ... you are confusing the term "custom cut" for the term "cave cut". They mean different things. I think what you're asking for is custom cut.

DUI doesn't have any more difficulty with properly fitting a custom suit than any other manufacturer I've dealt with. I've seen great-fitting custom suits and poor-fitting custom suits from most major suit manufacturers. It has more to do with who measures you than with who makes the suit.

FWIW - I currently own a custom DUI CLX450 and it fits me beautifully.

Cave cut, on the other hand, is (in fact) about making a special purpose, tight-fitting suit. And unless you've got the body for it, you won't be very happy with the product.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That wasn't my point. I understand the logic and don't disagree.

The problem I see is if the big guns insist it should be in a certain location, then they probably need to be seen with it there.

My point was nothing more than pointing out something that doesn't appear to be what they use.

The only one I have ever seen on the right was by someone who stated it was there because George said to put it there. That was his exact reason. I have attended a WKPP outing and I don't recall any on the right shoulder. I'm sure there are, but it's not as prevelant as one would think.

Spectre:
It's not about who has what. It's about the reasons behind it.

Think through what things you access with your left hand [inflators, SPG, wing dump] and what you access with your right hand [OOA donation, gas switches].

Now think through the things you may be doing while on the trigger of a scooter, e.g. adjusting bouyancy, checking your SPG, etc. Think through the things you would be off your trigger for [dealing with an OOA situation, switching gasses].

Now think of what hand you would need to use to adjust your drysuit dump valve, or manually use it. on the left shoulder you would need to use your right hand... or get off your trigger to deal with it.

Basically... your left hand can be used for all non-critical tasks that you wouldn't stop scootering to perform. Your right hand for critical tasks... with the exception of your suit dump if it's on the left.

i wouldnt worry too much about which group wears what where, i think its more important to dive with what you feel comfortable with.

NWGratefulDiver:
Which is exactly what you should avoid doing ... unless your intent is to continue spreading the stereotype of the DIR diver as some sort of dive Nazi. That word, more than anything else, is what has given so much of the diving world a sour stomach every time someone mentions DIR.

If you think someone's an unsafe diver, either say something constructive or avoid them altogether. Otherwise, you're just going to make yourself look like the sort of jerk too many people already think of whenever someone brings up the topic of DIR.

Neither DIR, nor those of us who have adopted that methodology, need, want, or appreciate divers who go around screaming "stroke" at somebody. It's a sign of serious immaturity.

OK ... since you're asking ... you are confusing the term "custom cut" for the term "cave cut". They mean different things. I think what you're asking for is custom cut.

DUI doesn't have any more difficulty with properly fitting a custom suit than any other manufacturer I've dealt with. I've seen great-fitting custom suits and poor-fitting custom suits from most major suit manufacturers. It has more to do with who measures you than with who makes the suit.

FWIW - I currently own a custom DUI CLX450 and it fits me beautifully.

Cave cut, on the other hand, is (in fact) about making a special purpose, tight-fitting suit. And unless you've got the body for it, you won't be very happy with the product.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I realize humor is a difficult thing to convey in this type of environment, so I apologize for not making my intentions better understood. The whole "screaming stroke at somebody" was a joke, and not something I would ever consider doing. Kind of like going to a Nazi driving school, but I digress. Anyway, concerning the cave cut, I read somewhere else on the DIR forum that it specifically was a method of simply getting a better custom fit by fudging certain measurements. You're saying that's not the case, so I'm curious as to what exactly would be "the body for it" e.g. measurements or overall proportions.

thanks,
e.a.e.

Spectre:
It's not about who has what. It's about the reasons behind it.

Think through what things you access with your left hand [inflators, SPG, wing dump] and what you access with your right hand [OOA donation, gas switches].

Now think through the things you may be doing while on the trigger of a scooter, e.g. adjusting bouyancy, checking your SPG, etc. Think through the things you would be off your trigger for [dealing with an OOA situation, switching gasses].

Now think of what hand you would need to use to adjust your drysuit dump valve, or manually use it. on the left shoulder you would need to use your right hand... or get off your trigger to deal with it.

Basically... your left hand can be used for all non-critical tasks that you wouldn't stop scootering to perform. Your right hand for critical tasks... with the exception of your suit dump if it's on the left.

I don't have plans to be using a scooter anytime soon, but the whole concept as stated above makes a lot of sense to me. One arm for non-critical tasks, and one arm for critical ones. Anybody else have a(ny) reason(s) not to do it this way?

thanks,
e.a.e.

I'm having a little difficulty figuring out how to include quotes from several people into a single post, so I apologize for the string of individual posts above. I do want to especially thank globaldiver, jonnythan, Derek S, and Schwim for their input. To be honest, the rest of you seem more taken with arguing amongst each other, but I guess that's what jonnythan means by filtering the real message from the mess.

thanks again,
e.a.e.

Just wondering (I've never dove dry so I'm just asking) ... DIR states that buoyancy control be done with your left hand right... hence the inflator...and pull dump all being on the left hand side, operated with your left hand. Wouldn't a left shoulder dump also be reachable by your left hand? (I just tried reaching a place anywhere on my left shoulder with my left arm, it doesn't seem to be a hard place to reach) Is there a current 'standard' location?

jplacson:
Just wondering (I've never dove dry so I'm just asking) ... DIR states that buoyancy control be done with your left hand right... hence the inflator...and pull dump all being on the left hand side, operated with your left hand. Wouldn't a left shoulder dump also be reachable by your left hand? (I just tried reaching a place anywhere on my left shoulder with my left arm, it doesn't seem to be a hard place to reach) Is there a current 'standard' location?
There is no pull dump... yanking on your inflator hose doesn't seem like the best idea, when you really think about it. Those cables attaching the inflator to the pull dump come loose, rust, break, etc. Last thing you want to do is rip your inflator completely off. Dumping is done with the left rear dump 99% of the time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom