DIR compliancy questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spectre:
"Officially"?

Why is it not "officially" on the right arm?

Because George isn't wearing it there ... this month ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Spectre:
"Officially"?

Why is it not "officially" on the right arm?

I'm just reporting back what was told to me after a long conversation with Bob Sherwood over the phone. I've never seen anyone with it on the right arm except for George in a couple photos. If you don't believe me call George, JJ, or Bob yourself.

Nostromo, I think you're on the right track. Drysuits are great, especially for us Northern divers, and there's no reason not to go out and buy a quality drysuit and undergarment right from the start. There's no advantage to being miserable and cold in a wetsuit or ill-fitting drysuit. I just wish I had dropped the $$ on a good drysuit and underwear the first time, so I wouldn't be saving for another!

There is a lot to learn about DIR on the internet, but most of what you read is bunk.. even from us DIR guys :wink: Take it all with a grain of salt, get the right gear, and get in a class soon. You're doing well so far if you ask me.

Don't let the crap get you.. that crap comes from both sides. Use a little common sense, and you can filter the real message from the mess.

jonnythan:
Nostromo, I think you're on the right track. Drysuits are great, especially for us Northern divers, and there's no reason not to go out and buy a quality drysuit and undergarment right from the start. There's no advantage to being miserable and cold in a wetsuit or ill-fitting drysuit. I just wish I had dropped the $$ on a good drysuit and underwear the first time, so I wouldn't be saving for another!

Hear, hear! Nothing is worse than doing something twice. And when it comes to SCUBA gear, as you well know, the stuff ain't cheap.

jonnythan:
There is a lot to learn about DIR on the internet, but most of what you read is bunk.. even from us DIR guys
03.gif
Take it all with a grain of salt, get the right gear, and get in a class soon. You're doing well so far if you ask me.

Ditto on this one as well. You can learn a lot by reading posts/sites on the internet, but the best thing to do is to contact an instructor and get into a class. I'm taking DIR-F in a few weeks, and can't wait!

jonnythan:
Don't let the crap get you.. that crap comes from both sides. Use a little common sense, and you can filter the real message from the mess.

Best advice.

Just FYI, you may already know, there's a DIR fundies with Brando and MHK scheduled in Milwaukee for June 10-12. This would give you time to get certified, into your suits and practiced with them before the class. My wife and I are sort of in the same boat, we just ordered undergarments and hope (fingers crossed) to have our custom drysuits in about six weeks. We're planning to do the Ohio class.

The funny thing is when you look at the WKPP site and GUE, you will mostly (please verify) find it on the left shoulder, not the right. I guess they hide those suits when the photographer is around :wink:

Spectre:
I believe you would be more accurate in saying "I've never noticed anyone with it on their right arm...." :wink:

Here... lemme help:

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=760352&postcount=9

Dan Gibson:
The funny thing is when you look at the WKPP site and GUE, you will mostly (please verify) find it on the left shoulder, not the right. I guess they hide those suits when the photographer is around :wink:

It's not about who has what. It's about the reasons behind it.

Think through what things you access with your left hand [inflators, SPG, wing dump] and what you access with your right hand [OOA donation, gas switches].

Now think through the things you may be doing while on the trigger of a scooter, e.g. adjusting bouyancy, checking your SPG, etc. Think through the things you would be off your trigger for [dealing with an OOA situation, switching gasses].

Now think of what hand you would need to use to adjust your drysuit dump valve, or manually use it. on the left shoulder you would need to use your right hand... or get off your trigger to deal with it.

Basically... your left hand can be used for all non-critical tasks that you wouldn't stop scootering to perform. Your right hand for critical tasks... with the exception of your suit dump if it's on the left.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom