DIR Ascent Protocol for Drift Dives in Heavy Current?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

6-Second Rule for Estimating Current:
The distance an object travels (in feet) in 6 seconds, divided by 10, = speed of object (in knots).

So you're telling me that in 6 seconds, you would drift 35ft away? Scooters can't even pull against that -- you'd be on the trigger, being pushed backwards, at full speed.

I don't care how many people say it, I don't care what books say it -- unless you've actually measured the current you can't say for sure how fast it is.

So you're telling me that in 6 seconds, you would drift 35ft away?
Probably not that far off.

So you're telling me that in 6 seconds, you would drift 35ft away? Scooters can't even pull against that -- you'd be on the trigger, being pushed backwards, at full speed.

On a good day, 35' easy.

After the boat ties off and cuts the engines, it still leaves a wake.

Terry

Now, I've only done the Daryaw three times, so I might have been lucky. It lies upside-down in its own little valley, so most of the current washes over it and it's quite still under the wreck and in the narrow chasm beside it. Or so I found.

Once I started to rise, I was in the current again and I clung to the mooring line. But that was not DIR, and after I have done my fundies this coming Spring, I ought to know what to do instead.

What you need to do is step away from the keyboard and hook up with the DIR types from the Ontario Diving list and go diving and stop trying to learn this stuff on the internet.

With a bit of mentoring all your questions will soon be answered young Grasshopper.

6-Second Rule for Estimating Current:
The distance an object travels (in feet) in 6 seconds, divided by 10, = speed of object (in knots).

I don't care how many people say it, I don't care what books say it -- unless you've actually measured the current you can't say for sure how fast it is.

You don't think that people who dive in strong currents all the time can not estimate them? Maybe you feel that divers can not estimate visibility without using a measuring tape?

Maybe you could do an experiment in the quarry?

What I'm saying is that many people who think they're diving in strong currents -- the current probably isn't as "strong" as they're saying.

Without actually measuring it, there's no way to know.

What you need to do is step away from the keyboard and hook up with the DIR types from the Ontario Diving list and go diving and stop trying to learn this stuff on the internet.

Help me understand: What is this forum for?

There is a DIR Practitioners Forum for people who are already DIR, so if this forum is not for asking questions about DIR, what is its purpose? I'm sure it is more than just a place for "old hands" to mock people who ask simple questions about DIR practices?

In any event, you and JeffG and Rainer have convinced me that asking questions about DIR here is not productive. This nuisance shall now cease.

Help me understand: What is this forum for?

There is a DIR Practitioners Forum for people who are already DIR, so if this forum is not for asking questions about DIR, what is its purpose? I'm sure it is more than just a place for "old hands" to mock people who ask simple questions about DIR practices?

In any event, you and JeffG and Rainer have convinced me that asking questions about DIR here is not productive. This nuisance shall now cease.

Good. Now go dive and learn.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom