DIR Ascent Protocol for Drift Dives in Heavy Current?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have to hang on to the line, you hang on to the line. DIR divers are thinking divers right? Better than drifting deco in perfect trim all the way to Halifax..........

If the current is that ****ty, and it if the odds are strong that you are going to get blown of the wreck, and you know this is at the beginning of the dive...........don't do the dive. Dive another day. This is all recreational stuff right? Remember Rule #3 "nothing underwater is worth dying for".........

If the scooter is the only thing keeping you from getting chopped into crab bait in the props of a freighter.......you might want to question your decision to do this dive also. Who has a scooter and has not had it fail for no particular reason? Sounds like putting all your eggs in one basket that was made by someone with parts from the lowest bidder......

Reg, when ever you ask these questions, think about it from a common sense application before you question "whether it is DIR or not". It is a good thing that you are asking the questions but if the party line seems to fly in the face of that common sense...............One of the best things about DIR is that 99.9 percent of this approach to diving "makes sense". That being said, there will always be situations where you need to ask yourself, "does this make sense" from your actual, on the spot perspective of where "the rubber hits the road". What does your common sense tell you about diving in a ripping current where the downside is getting chopped up by props? How would you weigh your deco obligations against getting blown off an upline in fog? These questions are best pondered on the surface, rather than in the water. Remember rule 3 above. We recently were planning a dive on a great wreck that has notarious current flucuations. When we arrived at the site, their was too much fog in our estimation to complete the dive safely if the current started acting up, a scooter died, or somebody blew off the line. Drifting on the ocean in strong current in fog? Google that one and you will find some "interesting" stories.

In any case, your personal risk assessment is for sure different than mine. If you don't think something can be accomplished safely, don't do it, regardless of the "party line".

Which one of these is it? The answer is your gas plan and from that you can derive an ascent approach. You seemed to have drifted it just fine (at least once).

Returning to the subject matter, I would not say just fine, because the plan was to ascend the mooring line and the charter was waiting there for the rest of the group. The captain then needed to pick them up then swing down and pick me (and two other divers with me) up. It might have been safer for everyone had all the divers planned to drift off that wreck.

Which may lead one to re-emphasize the importance of diving as part of a compatible team, not just your immediate buddy but anyone else sharing resources like the dive boat.

Which may lead one to re-emphasize the importance of diving as part of a compatible team, not just your immediate buddy but anyone else sharing resources like the dive boat.
Which may lead one to re-think about organizing sufrace support and properly organize divers deployment, surface management and other things related to DIR approach to diving.

Which may lead one to re-think about organizing sufrace support and properly organize divers deployment, surface management and other things related to DIR approach to diving.

Alas, that leads to asking whether DIR divers would ever walk onto a charter dive, and that sounds like a topic that has already been discussed with much the same results :)

Alas, that leads to asking whether DIR divers would ever walk onto a charter dive, and that sounds like a topic that has already been discussed with much the same results :)

At anything other than the most benign site, don't walk on the charter, arrange it to suit your needs and objectives.

Well, rjack, c'mon up and dive the Eastcliffe Hall, the one in the shipping channel, let's see how drifting goes on that one. If it wasn't in the channel, drifting off it would make the most sense. The Coast Guard isn't amused when the channel needs to be shut down due to divers.

Having said that, drifting onto and off the Daryaw with a live boat is IMO the most fun ever.

Well, Reg Braithwaite, you got this forum moving today!

Hey if its not a recreational dive, let's not pretend it is. Crawling around on the bottom with a single tank and then hanging on the anchor line for dear life doesn't sound like fun to me.

Hey if its not a recreational dive, let's not pretend it is. Crawling around on the bottom with a single tank and then hanging on the anchor line for dear life doesn't sound like fun to me.

It is a good dive.

and its recreational.

Mind you...I haven't done a lot of current dives, so the Daryaw was a bit of an eye opener. LOL

Mind you...I haven't done a lot of current dives, so the Daryaw was a bit of an eye opener. LOL

Now, I've only done the Daryaw three times, so I might have been lucky. It lies upside-down in its own little valley, so most of the current washes over it and it's quite still under the wreck and in the narrow chasm beside it. Or so I found.

Once I started to rise, I was in the current again and I clung to the mooring line. But that was not DIR, and after I have done my fundies this coming Spring, I ought to know what to do instead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom