DIR And Handicapped Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HSAI has certain bounds such as lung disorders and mental dissorders that are exclusive...My discission, what ever facilities I have to make them safe. HSAI stresses minimal adaptations...ie webbed gloves, scooters are a no no during training. The candidate must do everything a normal diver can do even it requires assistance...the tiered progam of certification

I've seen this question before, as well as the arguments that followed it. What I haven't seen yet is a legitimate GUE Instructor post any sort of answer to it.

Surely several GUE Instructors have read this thread? How about it?

WW

roakey:
Yes, a handicapped diver can be DIR, keeping in mind that DIR requires a specific equipment configuration and specific performance requirements. If the handicap does not allow the diver to meet those specific requirements, or, for that matter if an non-handicapped diver is unable to meet those specific objectives, then no, they can't be DIR.

Roak
I agree
As many know I have been asking questions of the D.I.R. philosophy. I agree with their point that divers need to be trained as safer better divers. I do not agree with all aspects of the DIR approach. Holistic lifestyle or other wise.

A handicapped diver should they be able to meet the requirments for skills, equipment, attitude, lifestyle and all aspects of the philosophy should therefore be certified to dive DIR?
A diver with a physical impairment having met these and all requirements at the discretion of the DIR instructor most certainly can be certified to a RESPECTIVE LEVEL subject to any limitations. This is common to all agencies.
If you want to single out GUE and their standards I do not believe that I have read anything of the contraindiction. Their swim test as an example could easily be surpassed by a handicapped student. Do not doubt the abilities or physical strength and endurance of a handicapped person Case in Point Rick Hanson Man in Motion Tour.

It is pretty clear that the DIR/GUE mentality is that diving is a dangerous sport that requires a high level of physical conditioning. GUE training has its foundations in technical/cave diving. It is appropriate to require potential students to have high level of physical conditioning. It is appropriate to require that all students meet certain criteria that are relevant to the course.

OTOH, it will be interesting to see what the requirements are for the GUE OW course.

Charlie

I don't remember were but I seem to remember MHK did addressing the issue.
I don't see much to talk about. It stands to reason that the diver will need to meet skill requirements. The instructor may have more latitude with how some skills are done than with others.

MikeFerrara:
I don't remember were but I seem to remember MHK did addressing the issue.
I don't see much to talk about. It stands to reason that the diver will need to meet skill requirements. The instructor may have more latitude with how some skills are done than with others.

Well I love kicking in 2 cents and I might as well end the year the same way.

First.. I have not always been the biggest "proponent" of DIR, but it seems to me that this thread was definitely baited to make DIR look bad. I hope not, but it sure seems that way. ADA is intended to make sure that people with various levels of ability or disability or handicaps (or whatever you prefer) are able to function in society with reasonable accomodations. As far as I know this does not apply to voluntary or participatory activities, such as SCUBA.

I heartily applaud and encourage the work of HSIA and all the dedicated individuals that give their time and effort to this amazing cause. Asking if a disabled individual will be doing cave diving is not the point. The point is that someone who cannot move around like the rest of us might have the ability to experience something amazing and that is great. We should not do or say anything to detract from that.

Second... I agree that it is the right of the instructor to decide whether they can handle teaching a disabled individual. It is not like teaching anybody else. If you don;t feel comfortable, don;t put your student's or your life on the line.

BTW.. I write this as someone who grew up working with my Dad to help pediatric cancer patients and mentally and physically handicapped individuals experience "summer camp" It was an amazing and fulfilling experience and you cannot appreciate how much stronger (in spirit and will) some of these 7 year old kids are than many adults!!!

Last year my dad had to have his right foot amputated below the knee. I have watched him battle with this and I have actually tried to get him to take up SCUBA since he never has and I think he wouold love it. If he could actually dive I wouldn't care if he "dived DIR or wanker supreme" (to steal from someone else) and neither should anyone else...

My last soapbox for the year!!! Also I just got my copy of DIR - Fundamentals of Better Diving so I will be reading that shortly...

[edited by Rick Murchison]

OTOH, via PADI and the GUE's DIR related to ADA used by DM's for CCR's via HSAI, perhaps WKKP could clarify to beginners what we are jibberishing about, lol....no wonder why nobody knows what the hell we are saying......

watch out dir/gue folks....here comes Roy Hauser!

on a serious note:
dove with the hsa guys off anacappa isl long time ago....amazing folk, very humiliating. (me thinks a mind meld with hsa and dir would bring the dir boyz egos back in line...LOL)
the reality of this thread is each and every hsa diver has different handicap/s, which require modifications to the "textbook" (gue/padi/iantd/etc.) agency guidlines.
a diver with one arm and one leg does not fit into any diving mold. hells bells...some hsa folks need two or three able bodied buddies just to enter and exit the dive site.
mark
ps: entire notion here is quite silly....good grief it's like nasa developing standards for blind astronauts. JMHO

The ADA is a law that radical handicapped terrorists and their blood sucking lawyers use to extort $ out of businesses. These are the types that scream to be treated just like everyone else as if they were no different, then demand that mom-and pop shops spends thousands to make their hole in the wall joints wheelchair accessible, demand special bathrooms, demand special parking spaces, get the city of LA to sue a strip joint because the dance platform was wheelchair accessible for wheelchair bound nude dancers.

Hi, I just want to let you know that there are many of us out here very thankful for the ADA who are not "handicapped terrorists" or "bloodsucking lawyers". While there are some who abuse the ADA, it is the same as every law or regulation that is created for the good, but can be used many different ways.

I am sorry for whatever experiences you have had to make you so angry towards the "challenged" population... and I hope that you are never in need of the ADA for yourself or a loved one.

AmyJ

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom