DIR And Handicapped Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Folks, this could be a legitimate question... but as it stands it is beginning to seem like a troll. Trolling posts are not allowed in this forum. If you haven't received an adequate answer to your question in this thread so far then I would advise you to contact GUE directly.

reubencahn:
Toyota Manufacturing Company, Kentucky, Inc. v. Williams, 122 S.Ct. 681.

Thanks for the cite.

Its an interesting case, but I don't see that it has any practical application to GUE's courses (FWIW, I'm not suggesting that anyone claimed otherwise).

It appears as if the Court defined "disabled" within the meaning of the ADA and articulated the evidence that must be presented in order to establish that a disability exists.

It does not provide any guidance on the issue of whether GUE is subject to the ADA or whether GUE would need to modify its standards.

More importantly ... at what level of "handicap" should a person NOT
be allowed to dive?

I never understood the point of blind persons diving. Nor do I understand
the point of diving if your legs to do not function well enough to swim on
your own power or if your arms are not fully useful. Under any of those scenarios you are starting out closer to the edge and it will take less s***
to push you over.

Note to all.... this was pulled temporarily as "cooling" off method. Please keep the discussions civil.

Yes, a handicapped diver can be DIR, keeping in mind that DIR requires a specific equipment configuration and specific performance requirements. If the handicap does not allow the diver to meet those specific requirements, or, for that matter if an non-handicapped diver is unable to meet those specific objectives, then no, they can't be DIR.

Roak

I'm an HSAI instructor...I feel very strongly that anyone who wants to dive should have the opportunity to dive within their physical limitations...remember, not all dives are 2000 ft cave penetrations or wrecks with ripping currents...alot of dives are very benign and for a person who can't walk or see this may be the excitement of lifetime even if it's just the weightless sensation in a pool for an hour.

Remember everyone out here on the board may be 1 second away from facing a major disability...Cousteau is a prime example...Before Scuba, he was on his way to be a military pilot...a car wreck changed his career...left with one arm paralyzed and the othe facing amputation....look at what he accomplished!

Green_Manelishi:
More importantly ... at what level of "handicap" should a person NOT
be allowed to dive?

I never understood the point of blind persons diving. Nor do I understand
the point of diving if your legs to do not function well enough to swim on
your own power or if your arms are not fully useful. Under any of those scenarios you are starting out closer to the edge and it will take less s***
to push you over.

I respectfully disagree.

Its not for me to decide whether someone else should be allowed to dive. My only responsibilities are to decide (1) whether I will assist in teaching them; (2) whether I will recommend to the instructor that they be certified; and (3) whether I will buddy with them after they are certified.

Interior wreck diving, mix diving, deco diving and deep diving all put you closer to the edge. For that matter, our quarry searches (helping a local FD by finding cars and objects dumped in a somewhat deep quarry) do the same. I've made a conscious choice to do all of them.

Some people, including other divers at my shop, have difficulty understanding why my team likes to do these dives. However, its simply not for them, or for anyone else, to tell us that we are wrong or that we can't.

IMHO, the same goes for disabled divers. If they chose to run the risk, then good luck to them.

Incidentally, during my DM candidacy, I worked with a gentleman who had very limited use of his legs as the result of a motorcycle accident. He needed help moving his gear and used webbed gloves instead of fins. However, he truly enjoyed diving and was pretty good at it.

The most satisfying part of the story is that he took the class with his teenage son. They were able to engage in a sport together.

cudachaser:
I'm an HSAI instructor...I feel very strongly that anyone who wants to dive should have the opportunity to dive within their physical limitations...remember, not all dives are 2000 ft cave penetrations or wrecks with ripping currents...alot of dives are very benign and for a person who can't walk or see this may be the excitement of lifetime even if it's just the weightless sensation in a pool for an hour.

Remember everyone out here on the board may be 1 second away from facing a major disability...Cousteau is a prime example...Before Scuba, he was on his way to be a military pilot...a car wreck changed his career...left with one arm paralyzed and the othe facing amputation....look at what he accomplished!

I agree. However, is there a point when you, as an instructor, will not agree to teach them? Personally, I reserve the right to do so, with any diver or student, at any time, based solely on my judgment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom