DIN, Yoke.... help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dredhaus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Someone just gave me 2 HP steel tanks. I believe it is a DIN valve and I have a yoke reg. So what do I need to do? Can I use an adapter or something to hook up my yoke reg to the DIN valve? Do I need to buy a DIN reg? Can I convert my yoke reg to a DIN reg? I'm a little confused. From what I understand I can only either convert my reg to a DIN or buy a new DIN reg.

Some DIN valves (5 thread DIN) can take a "donut" (the thing on the right)
valveprodink.jpg

to convert them to Yoke. If it's a 7+ thread DIN (true HP DIN valve), you can't convert them. You can change out the valves though getting yoke valves, but converting your reg to DIN would probably cost about the same as a set of valves.

Well it depends.....

If the rated pressure of the cylinder is under 3500 you can use a yoke connector if you have the right valve, or change the valves.

If the cylinders are 3500 PSI you will need to have the connector on your regulator changed. This is usually a $50. proposition and assumes your regulator is OK with 3500 PSI, most are nowadays. For using yoke cylinders at home and away you can then use a DIN/yoke adapter or swap the connector to your old one.

If the cylinders are under 3500 PSI there is a chance that you have Thermo Pro valves and can screw a bushing into the DIN hole to allow a yoke connection. Does the valve have the dimple on on the back side where the yoke screw would bear?

If this is getting too messy for you I will meet you tomorrow at noon on I95 at the MA/CT border to relieve you of this hardship.

Pete

Wow! You guys type fast!

You can do all of those things:D
A conversion of your yoke lst stage should only cost about $20 for the converter and
depending on your shop about $20 for switching them out. You can keep your original yoke fitting for Carribean trips where you'll be most likely renting Al 80s all yoke.
It takes about 2-5 minutes for a tech to switch them out. Mostly a big nut holds them on...

A DIN to yoke adaptor can be used but some people find that they are a bit long and will hit them in the back of the head.

If your takes will take them, there are little screw in inserts that will allow you to use a yoke or a DIN reg.

All of the solutions should cost about the same.

All you have to do is purchase a DIN convertion kit for your reg and have a tech switch it out. I would recommend also purchasing a DIN to yoke adaptor.

All my regs are set up for DIN. When I use cylinders that are yoke (normally the majority of the time) I use my yoke adaptor. I have traveled to some places that use only DIN valves on their cylinders. It is much easier to put on or take off the yoke adaptor than switching from yoke to DIN, especially when traveling.

Chris

The only draw back to the "donut" is not all yokes are rated for 3500 psi. I have the donut and have run across some DIN valves that are quite deep, making the donut useless. I've run across from time to time.

The reason I converted all my regs to DIN and picked up the yoke adaptor is it eliminates the problems I just pointed out.

Chris

The deeper din valves are true HP, 7 thread din connections, and will probably not have the dimple on the back for the yoke screw anyways.

And $45 is a more common price than $20 for the DIN reg conversion kit.

If you plan on only diving your own tanks, I would STRONGLY suggest you switch to all DIN. They are much safer and secure. If you dive HP tanks you will have no choice if you "pump them up". The O-rings will be a problem in yoke valves.
Down side is if you rent or borrow you will need a Din to yoke adapter because most places you go will only have yoke valves.

I have 7 threads- no dimple and the cylinders are 3500 PSI. I think I'll head out to the dive shop today and check into the DIN reg conversion kit. thanks for clarifying!

I have 7 threads- no dimple and the cylinders are 3500 PSI. I think I'll head out to the dive shop today and check into the DIN reg conversion kit. thanks for clarifying!

If you never dive anything but yoke tanks maybe it would be simpler to just change the valves. I have primarily DIN regs and all yoke tanks so I have to run an adapter which moves the reg closer to my head *ouch* and is generally a PITA. A couple of yoke valves($10-30) are probably cheaper that a DIN kit and yoke adapter($40-60 each). Then you have a couple of nice valves to Ebay and probably come out ahead. I personally prefer DIN but everybody I share tanks with uses yoke. Look at NortheastScubaSupply for valves. They usually have rebuilt,clean ones for cheap in their used gear section(online).
Good luck, Brad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom