DIN, Yoke.... help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have 7 threads- no dimple and the cylinders are 3500 PSI. I think I'll head out to the dive shop today and check into the DIN reg conversion kit. thanks for clarifying!

You have correctly boiled it down to the essentials. Enjoy those cylinders, my offer stands. :D

I just looked back and see no mention of the Hydro and VIP status. If they are not current I would get them up and running before touching the regulator. You may have been given a pair of wind chimes.

Pete

What kind of regulator(s) are you using, conversion runs from simple (e.g., screw off the yoke and you're DIN ready: Poseidon Cyclon 300) to the complex (e.g. replace the back end of the regulator and, while your at it, install a new 3,500 PSI HP seat: Mares MR-12 Navy).

Welcome to the TS&M signature line festival :wink:

If you never dive anything but yoke tanks maybe it would be simpler to just change the valves. I have primarily DIN regs and all yoke tanks so I have to run an adapter which moves the reg closer to my head *ouch* and is generally a PITA. A couple of yoke valves($10-30) are probably cheaper that a DIN kit and yoke adapter($40-60 each). Then you have a couple of nice valves to Ebay and probably come out ahead. I personally prefer DIN but everybody I share tanks with uses yoke. Look at NortheastScubaSupply for valves. They usually have rebuilt,clean ones for cheap in their used gear section(online).
Good luck, Brad

That is probably not an option since the neck size is probably 7/8 UNF threads (versus the standard 3/4" NPS thread in most other tanks). My understanding is that the 3500 PSI tanks only came in 7/8 UNF size threads and vlave selection for them is very limited (7 thread DIN only).

Many newer steel tanks are 3442 psi (just below the 3500 PSI) and they use the standard 3/4" NPS threads and therefore they have an option of valves.

Here is a threead with good related information:
Valves, Regulator Fittings, Cylinder Neck Openings -- More than you wanted to know

That is probably not an option since the neck size is probably 7/8 UNF threads (versus the standard 3/4" NPS thread in most other tanks). My understanding is that the 3500 PSI tanks only came in 7/8 UNF size threads and vlave selection for them is very limited (7 thread DIN only).

Many newer steel tanks are 3442 psi (just below the 3500 PSI) and they use the standard 3/4" NPS threads and therefore they have an option of valves.

Here is a threead with good related information:
Valves, Regulator Fittings, Cylinder Neck Openings -- More than you wanted to know

My Bad. I missed the post about 3500 PSI and assumed they were 3/4. So are there any 7/8 PRO valve options?

My Bad. I missed the post about 3500 PSI and assumed they were 3/4. So are there any 7/8 PRO valve options?
Good question. Thermo does not appear to make a Pro valve for a 7/8 neck tank.

Pro valves are not rated to 3500psi, only the lower pressure exemption tanks. No 7/8 valves exist. IIRC, this was done on purpose to avoid the very thing you are considering. :)

Convert the regs to DIN is your best bet... or sell the tanks and buy a newer tank with a convertible valve instead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom