DIN versus Yoke?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
To all you reg techs out there...

I recently read "tech divers prefer DIN valves over yoke valves. DIN connections are a more secure method of attaching the regulator to the tank and provide up to 50 percent greater gas flow - an important consideration on deep dives where ambient pressure causes breathing gas to become quite dense."

I understand that the connection is more secure, but how does the reg connection allow greater air flow?

Marc

JUST MY TWO CENTS:
with a DIN reg, the air coming out of the tank is allowed a more direct airflow from the valve inside the reg. If you look at most yoke regs, they have a little hole on one side of the valve and then the filter on the yoke style reg is solarge that the air kinda swirls its way in. On DIN regs it flows directly through the inside of the connection like a pipe. That is the only thing I can think of. I don't think that it would increase air flow by 50% though. I do agree that it is much more secure though.

It's BS. Were you reading Rodales? There's a thread about this issue over on Deco Stop. Gas flow is going to be restricted by the two biggest limiting factors - the first and second stages. Not what connects that first and second stage to the tank valve in the first place.

DIN is awesome and I don't own anything else, but this is what happens when people like Rodales try to talk about stuff they know nothing about - like diving with anything other than split fins and a pink snorkel hanging off your mask.

Boogie711:
this is what happens when people like Rodales try to talk about stuff they know nothing about - like diving with anything other than split fins and a pink snorkel hanging off your mask.

Good Call. I knew that the more direct the air path, the less it will slow down, but 50% increase in DIN seemed to be a little much.

Can we confirm which magazine and which issue this came from? I would like to read it....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom