din valves for low pressure tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lg56

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am interested in pruchasing a reg and tank for my stepson, he is 11 and had him certified this past summer. I would like to introduce to him to a din rig, using an aluminum 63. I feel we are leaning towards the use of a din as our Euopean friends have been for quite some time now and I do not understand why we haven't already. I too have elected to make the move. I personally think it is eaiser to set up, safer (bumps),and will indeed be the trend. Please share your thoughts.

I think you're on the right track.

Yup. you're on the right track. DIN is the better connection.

If you're ordering the tank new you will likely be able to chose your valve. I'd suggest a "Convertible Pro Valve". That's one that has is DIN with a removable YOKE insert. That way it can be used with either DIN or YOKE first stages.

It just makes it more usable by others and better at resell time.

Here's an example picture of how the "convertible YOKE insert works"

601_1.jpg

the "Low pressure tanks" are steels rated to 2640 or 2400 psi... May wanna see if you can find a single LP95 or LP85 to use instead of the AL63. Better tanks... Last longer and can be used if he transitions to tech for other stuff. Depends on how short he is too.

Faber makes a steel LP66 which might be about right for a youngster.

I think the reason for a-clamp (yoke) valves still existing is compatibility.

If I have 4 tanks with a-clamp I probably have a-clamp regulators. If I was purchasing a new cylinder, I'd probably go a-clamp. The convertible valves will definitely help with this dilemma. All my tanks are convertible. I have a-clamp regulator but my next purchase will be a DIN regulator. I'll either keep the a-clamp regulator for when I travel to say the Caribbean or I'll purchase a converter so I can use DIN regulator on an a-clamp valve.

For dive shops and resorts, they have dozens of tanks with a-clamp valves and rental equipment is a-clamp as well. A tank and well maintained regulators will last decades. Over time, I can see shops and resorts purchasing tanks with convertible valves. Once the majority of their tanks are convertible they'll purchase DIN regulators as they replace them. I just don't see it happening any time soon.

I think the reason for a-clamp (yoke) valves still existing is compatibility.

If I have 4 tanks with a-clamp I probably have a-clamp regulators. If I was purchasing a new cylinder, I'd probably go a-clamp. The convertible valves will definitely help with this dilemma. All my tanks are convertible. I have a-clamp regulator but my next purchase will be a DIN regulator. I'll either keep the a-clamp regulator for when I travel to say the Caribbean or I'll purchase a converter so I can use DIN regulator on an a-clamp valve.

For dive shops and resorts, they have dozens of tanks with a-clamp valves and rental equipment is a-clamp as well. A tank and well maintained regulators will last decades. Over time, I can see shops and resorts purchasing tanks with convertible valves. Once the majority of their tanks are convertible they'll purchase DIN regulators as they replace them. I just don't see it happening any time soon.

If you buy a DIN regulator and you want to use a YOKE valve... it's simple.

You can buy a DIN to YOKE adapter for $25 to $40 bucks

Many brands to chose from.... here is just one example.

images

Why an AL63 rather than an old steel 72? Same dry weight, better buoyancy, less lead, likely cheaper.

I'm on that track... HP80's might be an option too if he's short

LP85's may be an option too. Those are AWESOME tanks

HP100's are shorter than AL80's and if you get him two now those will likely be the only tanks he ever needs

Back
Top Bottom