DIN v. Yoke! Fight!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ive used the DIN-to-yoke adapter a couple of times (because I forgot to request DIN tanks a day or two in advance) and havent really had an issue with headbanging tbh..

ams511 where the hell did I ever say that yoke is inherently unsafe??

Where did I you said that?

But sure, Ill keep the fact that o-rings can blow at depth quite from here on, since you insist...
I mean, as it didnt happen in USA it must have been bad maintenance by an op that does all there is in their power to kill all their (mainly) north-european customers.

Please do, your life may depend on it.

They guy at the shop said that since I am getting such a high end reg, and my number one concern is ease of breathing and free flowing air, the DIN reg will flow easier (since it has a larger hole) than the yoke. true?

Did the store also sell you a larger diameter low pressure hose so that you could get this higher volume of air to the second stage too? :)

Where did I you said that?
In post #48 you insinuate I said yoke is inherently unsafe, which I never did.

Please do, your life may depend on it.
My life may depend on not letting people know o-rings can blow? Ok, good - that makes perfect sense.

or not..

In post #48 you insinuate I said yoke is inherently unsafe, which I never did.

So now I did not say it but insinuated it? What next I thought it?

My life may depend on not letting people know o-rings can blow? Ok, good - that makes perfect sense or not..

Your post did not make sense and does your whole argument. Who knows better what equipment the OP will find in common use in Miami? Someone from Norway or someone from Miami? You advise the OP to purchase a DIN regulator and use an adaptor so what does this solve? Actually nothing because the tank o-ring is still on the tank because it is a yoke tank. So in actuality your recommendation does not alleviate the o-ring problem and ads another potential failure point, the adaptor.

ams511, go back read what I posted, read what you posted and do it when youre sober.
I ASKED YOU where the hell I said yoke is inherently unsafe as you insinuate I did in post 48. Now WHERE DID I SAY YOKE IS INHERENTLY UNSAFE?

I SAID I will keep the fact that o-rings can blow quiet as it was obviously that since it wasnt in the USA that it MUST be bad maintenance from an op trying to kill me - PER YOUR OWN QUOTATION OF ME.
And you say I should cause my life may depend on it - Why should I keep it quiet? Youre the one making no sense.

And finally what the hell has you being in Miami and me being in Norway got to do with anything at all?
I never said anything about what youll find in Miami, I gave a very real example that yes, o-rings DOES blow in addition to having said that I HAVE used a DIN-to-yoke adapter without it being "in the way".

ams511, go back read what I posted, read what you posted and do it when youre sober.
I ASKED YOU where the hell I said yoke is inherently unsafe as you insinuate I did in post 48. Now WHERE DID I SAY YOKE IS INHERENTLY UNSAFE?

Below is the post in question? Again where did I say or insinuate that you said yoke regulators are unsafe?

I did read your link and it could have been life threatening if it happened latter in the dive when the tank pressure was lower. However, I have to agree with Halo that the regulator should not make a difference. The o-ring must have been nicked or damaged either before he put reg on or during putting it on. Yoke valves are very common in scuba (at least in the western hemisphere), if they were inherently unsafe we would be having many more failures than we do.

---------- Post Merged at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:50 PM ----------

But sure, Ill keep the fact that o-rings can blow at depth quite from here on, since you insist...

This sentence makes no sense. Sorry.

I mean, as it didnt happen in USA it must have been bad maintenance by an op that does all there is in their power to kill all their (mainly) north-european customers.

This part of the post is what I was responding to.

---------- Post Merged at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:50 PM ----------

Ams511/Tigerman

Lets be friends and get back to helping the OP........

The OP has already purchased a yoke reg, now he is concerned that it came assembled from Aqualung.

---------- Post Merged at 07:04 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:50 PM ----------

And finally what the hell has you being in Miami and me being in Norway got to do with anything at all?
I never said anything about what youll find in Miami, I gave a very real example that yes, o-rings DOES blow in addition to having said that I HAVE used a DIN-to-yoke adapter without it being "in the way".

The OP is from Miami and wants to know whether to purchase a DIN or a Yoke valve for his regulator. Part of the decision has to do with what type of tanks he is liable to use in South Florida and the Caribbean. As myself and others have mentioned that is yoke. As I mentioned in a prior post your suggestion does not alleviate the problem and ads an additional failure point, the adaptor. Also as other posters have mentioned DIN O-rings can also fail.

So since I clearly mentioned before that this was one of the most reputable dive ops in the red sea, you assume that I just grant you that anywhwere but the USA is unsafe to dive?
Good for you..

Your insinuation is right in your quote (again) Yoke valves are very common in scuba (at least in the western hemisphere), if they were inherently unsafe we would be having many more failures than we do. and by the fact that its a direct answer to one of my posts, isnt it??

And yes, Ive understand that youre from the glorious US of A, no need to go on about it despite the fact that I DIDNT mention anything about location other than the use of DIN-to-yoke adaptors.

However Ill just leave you to yourself now as I cant be assed going on explaining to you what you yourself post on a forum

So since I clearly mentioned before that this was one of the most reputable dive ops in the red sea, you assume that I just grant you that anywhwere but the USA is unsafe to dive? Good for you..

The o-ring failing was due to what? An act of God?

Your insinuation is right in your quote (again) Yoke valves are very common in scuba (at least in the western hemisphere), if they were inherently unsafe we would be having many more failures than we do. and by the fact that its a direct answer to one of my posts, isnt it??

It is a statement on my part not an insinuation of anything you said. But you are the one with the tagline of the o-ring blowing.

And yes, Ive understand that youre from the glorious US of A, no need to go on about it despite the fact that I DIDNT mention anything about location other than the use of DIN-to-yoke adaptors.

No, you just think you know local diving better than people from the same area of the OP. Also as mentioned before your din-to-yoke solution is doesn't solve the o-ring problem and ads another failure point.

However Ill just leave you to yourself now as I cant be assed going on explaining to you what you yourself post on a forum

You seem to be "assed" whatever that means.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom