DIN v. Yoke! Fight!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For single tank, recreational, open water diving in the Americas, caribbean and Pacific, I would recommend yoke over DIN for availability of equipment (tanks, replacement o-rings) hands down. For Europe (personal knowledge) Africa and Indian Ocean (second hand reports) I would recommend DIN over yoke for the same reason. For overhead environment such as wreck, cave or other technical diving using multiple tanks I would go DIN over yoke, in part due to the entanglement issues mentioned by many posters, as well as specialty gear availability for those kinds of diving.

If you are US based, I would not recommend getting a DIN regulator if you are a recreational open water diver who will be doing most of your diving at resorts or from live aboard vessels in the caribbean, primarily because of availability of replacement parts, tank availability, etc. You would just be looking for problems if you wanted to dive DIN on the average vacation, especially if your dive buddies are all using yoke equipped gear. They might not want to dive with the only shop on the island that has DIN tanks, or maybe they have a sweet package deal at a resort that has only yoke gear. You could of course have a DIN to yoke conversion, but then you have to ask yourself what "advantage" did you get for having DIN?

And incidentally, yes I have a DIN regulator among my several regulators, it's European and was originally sold there. Speaking of which, have you ever tried to have a DIN equipped European scuba tank (non ICC, non DOT) hydro-ed in America? Now that is 1 worthy topic for an SB fight.

I dive almost exclusively with DIN, but I also own yoke. Why? I have seen the knob sticking up on a yoke reg snag on stuff. The din doesn't have that protrusion. This is especially true when I sidemount as I like the reg pointing towards me. i do carry adapters to let me use my DIN when I encounter a yoke only dive op. Most can accommodate me now.

I have had both DIN and Yoke o-rings extrude. Both are captured orings and if you don't tighten them adequately, they will go with the flow. :D

I started this topic as a new thread from my other thread because I think it deserves more input. I am sure this has been discussed before.

As I said in the other forum, I am getting an Aqua Lung Legend LX and I am unsure if I should buy DIN or Yoke.

I will be doing (1) reef dives from the beaches of Florida, (2) charter dives in Florida off the coast, and (3) traveling to the Caribbean and doing charter dives. I will not be going anywhere else with my setup, and I will not be going deeper than 130 feet. DIN has the benefit of being more secure (using your own o-ring in your first stage) but the negative is that every time I rent a tank, or go on a charter I have to worry about the availability of a DIN tank or I have to lug around an adapter which I really don't want to do.

Considering my uses, what wold you do?

I've been diving and giving lessons for a long time and there is absolutely no question in my mind. DIN DIN DIN.

Yoke should be taken out of service. The sooner the better. There really is no discussion.

R..

---------- Post Merged at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:25 PM ----------

For single tank, recreational, open water diving in the Americas, caribbean and Pacific, I would recommend yoke over DIN for availability of equipment (tanks, replacement o-rings) hands down.

If he has a need to downgrade to the POS solution on a regular basis then he should still get DIN and use a DIN to Yoke converter.

R..

OP bought a yoke...it's in a different thread.

There really is no discussion.
Actually, we're at post number 56 in THIS discussion! :D While I think it's admirable that you are so for DIN, I fail to see the inherent problems for yoke. What do you see as the worst problem they present? If you mention off gassing while staying horizontal, I'm gonna split my sides laughing [/inside joke].

Actually, we're at post number 56 in THIS discussion! :D While I think it's admirable that you are so for DIN, I fail to see the inherent problems for yoke. What do you see as the worst problem they present? If you mention off gassing while staying horizontal, I'm gonna split my sides laughing [/inside joke].

I guess I should have said, "there should be no discussion".

My main objection is that the seating can allow the o-ring to escape too easily.

Minor objection, as a wreck diver, the knob gets hung up on crap (especially netting), which DIN regs normally don't.

But then you already knew I was going to say that :D

R..

I guess I should have said, "there should be no discussion".

My main objection is that the seating can allow the o-ring to escape too easily.

Minor objection, as a wreck diver, the knob gets hung up on crap (especially netting), which DIN regs normally don't.

But then you already knew I was going to say that :D

R..
I would reverse the two in importance... but I off-gas vertically and horizontally. :D

If he has a need to downgrade to the POS solution on a regular basis then he should still get DIN and use a DIN to Yoke converter.

If Yoke is POS, DIN with adaptor is triple POS. The 3rd being the added depth of the converter, it can literey cause pain in the neck.

I use DIN configuration with my own Tanks. My Tank valves are Yoke/DIN. I use a Yoke adapter when traveling no problem. I always carry the Yoke adapter and all types of o'rings in my gear bag. I don't loan my tanks or regulators or any of my dive equipment nor do I borrow from anyone except some lead on rare occasions. When traveling, I rent the Tanks and lead.

Back
Top Bottom