DIN v. Yoke! Fight!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They guy at the shop said that since I am getting such a high end reg, and my number one concern is ease of breathing and free flowing air, the DIN reg will flow easier (since it has a larger hole) than the yoke. true?

Baloney.

N

This is all quite fascinating. On the one hand, the majority of my dives will be local, and I will be using my own tank, or a rental tank of a shop that I have a relationship with. In those scenarios, DIN works. However, I am going to potentially have an issue with the DIN once (1) I travel to the Caribbean, (2) I have to pick up a tank at an unknown local dive shop, (3) I am going on a local charter that I do not have a relationship with, (4) I am using a buddy's extra tank that he has filled before a dive because I did not have time to do it.

The DIN seems like a good idea, and will make me feel more comfortable because it MIGHT be safer, but it also just seems to be too much of a pain. I really do not like the idea of using an adapter for a yoke take. Yoke has been used for decades upon decades, and as an earlier post stated, there is not much by way of statistical evidence proving that they are actually safer.

Total B.S.

---------- Post Merged at 09:57 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:47 PM ----------

Unless you have some statistics to prove that diving with DIN is safer (meaning fewer injuries/deaths with DIN, adjusted for number of dives in each sample) then this statement is false. You might 'think' it's 'safer' because the type of connection is theoretically more secure, but that doesn't make it actually safer. There is one situation that I would agree DIN adds a credible possible safety factor, that's in severe entanglement hazard areas.

Certainly using a DIN reg with an adapter and a yoke tank negates any possible benefit of DIN.

I use DIN on my doubles, and I do certainly like the fact that A)I'm in charge of the o-ring, and B) the regs are nice and compact, and C) there is less of an entanglement hazard in very tight spots. But deliberately using DIN regs on yoke tanks makes no sense whatsoever.

A long time ago, all the yoke valves used a very thick O-ring. I never saw one of those extrude. Once the current skinny yoke O-rings became the norm. I have personally witnessed O-ring extrusion several times. I don't think this kind of extrusion can occur on a DIN (without a Yoke adapter of course). All the O-ring extrusions, i have seem were on the boat and occured soon after the tank was connected (except once).

Most likely the yoke screw was not completely tightened. I had this occur during an actual dive several months ago.. even got some video of it.

Also, I have damaged a yoke from falling and with a bent yoke, the reg and valve face are no longer parallel... and the reg may not even seal on the tank. i have had this happen myself.. but I assume that a yoke could also be partially bent and cause the reg/valve to align imperfectly and be more prone to O-ring extrusion.

I have both. I mostly dive DIN but I have a AL setup in yoke. I have called ahead and checked on DIN tanks twice and the shop had none. I asked since I was diving for a week if I brought 2 din pro valves if I could mount them on two empty tanks and use them. They both said that was something new but they had no problem with it. Sowed up right after landing put on the valves and they filled them up for the week. At the last dive I emptied them out removed the valves and off I went. Easy fix for those trips. Never know ask. My daughter has a yoke reg and she likes the pro inserts as the O Ring is larger and seals better for her.

Just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Has anyone heard anything on the flow being easier (or making more use of a higher end reg) because the hole is larger in DIN?

BODUS!

On a yoke it hoes right into a big filter element. On DIN it has to pass through the much smaller spindle hole. The upshot is that either is entirely adequate.

Based on the inclusion of resort diving yoke is the way to go. If you get into a DIN situation for local diving you can usually convert a regulator in a few minutes with ~$50. worth of parts. This way you never end up with that kludge of a converter.

Pete

A long time ago, all the yoke valves used a very thick O-ring. I never saw one of those extrude. Once the current skinny yoke O-rings became the norm. I have personally witnessed O-ring extrusion several times. I don't think this kind of extrusion can occur on a DIN (without a Yoke adapter of course). All the O-ring extrusions, i have seem were on the boat and occured soon after the tank was connected (except once).

Most likely the yoke screw was not completely tightened. I had this occur during an actual dive several months ago.. even got some video of it.

Also, I have damaged a yoke from falling and with a bent yoke, the reg and valve face are no longer parallel... and the reg may not even seal on the tank. i have had this happen myself.. but I assume that a yoke could also be partially bent and cause the reg/valve to align imperfectly and be more prone to O-ring extrusion.

Ugh oh, this is causing me to go away from yoke (after I just decided on it).. Ugh. It's game of: what is the likelihood of the extrusion occurring under water if I went yoke, in combination with, what is the likelihood that I will have difficulty getting DIN tanks for my charters and Caribbean dives if I went DIN.

I am getting an Aqua Lung Legend LX and I am unsure if I should buy DIN or Yoke....Considering my uses, what wold you do?

IMHO DIN is always the preferable option, unless one of the follow 3 factors apply:

1) You live in Europe and dive nitrox - getting tangled in the silly M26 thread issue (not applicable to OP)

2) You rent or loan the regulators to other people, who might mishandle them and irrevocable damage the thread.

3) The places you most frequently dive do not have DIN tanks available.

They guy at the shop said that since I am getting such a high end reg, and my number one concern is ease of breathing and free flowing air, the DIN reg will flow easier (since it has a larger hole) than the yoke. true?

Dang it... just snorted coffee out of my nose...:rofl3:

Then get a DIN. Just make sure it is one where you can have it convted to yoke eventually. I suspect you'll want that conversion sooner than you think. Here's another plug for HOG, they just recently came out with a yoke conversion. HOG only comes in DIN as its marketed toward the TEC crowd, they are great regs at a reasonable price and at least one member on this board can do the conversion for you if and when you decide on it. Othwise, definitely get a yoke adapter. You'll need it.

---------- Post Merged at 12:28 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:27 AM ----------

And, after the comments about the BC and now the regs, I'd definitely be shopping for a new LDS before I went shopping for any gear. Those guys sound like bigger idiots than the combined mass of scuba boarders.

Ugh oh, this is causing me to go away from yoke (after I just decided on it).. Ugh. It's game of: what is the likelihood of the extrusion occurring under water if I went yoke, in combination with, what is the likelihood that I will have difficulty getting DIN tanks for my charters and Caribbean dives if I went DIN.

You are making an issue and safety concern of something that simply is not. I have had a DIN extrude an O ring. If you do not snug a yoke or DIN down then it is possible for a failure to occur. But go ahead and get a DIN, and when you go on your dive vacation, you may have to haul some tanks with you.

Good luck.

N

I had an extrusion once in many thousands of dives....It is not a huge issue for me, that is why I use Yoke... but I still think DIN is a tiny bit safer.

Back
Top Bottom