DIN regulators with adapter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Din to yoke adaptor doesn't work for me. My head will bump into first stage when I look forward in trim. Very uncomfortable. My solution is to have a yoke first stage for travel. YMMV

Din to yoke adaptor doesn't work for me. My head will bump into first stage when I look forward in trim. Very uncomfortable. My solution is to have a yoke first stage for travel. YMMV

Same with me. After diving yoke reg sets for a long time, four or five years ago I bought my first DIN reg set with the idea that I might get into tech diving. It came with a DIN-to-yoke adapter. I hated it, due to the lack of clearance behind my head. If I were to lower the tank, such that the reg was adjacent my neck rather than my head, it would not only throw my trim off but also would make it hard for me to reach my valve, should I ever need to turn it on in an emergency.

Eventually, I converted that reg to yoke. Yoke-valve tanks are the standard at resorts and liveboards throughout the world. No hassle, ever. For the traveling vacation diver, I think yoke is the way to go. Sure, some dive ops will have tanks with the removable valve face insert that allows quick conversion between DIN and yoke, but it has been pointed out in a few threads that you shouldn't count on being able to remove them, due to saltwater corrosion.

I have never had an issue getting a DIN tank. More and more locations are going to pro valves so that they can offer their customer either or. Easiest thing to do is to simply call and request before you go somewhere.

Easiest thing to do is to simply call and request before you go somewhere.

Potentially very important. I recall showing up at a dive shop in FL hoping to rent a DIN tank, and they said that while they have quite a few DIN rental tanks they all happened to be out at the moment, and I should come back tomorrow.

The last few years I've noticed the convertible tank valves more and more in Cozumel, and I suspect that's true elsewhere. However, if those yoke plugs are not taken out regularly in an environment like that, good luck getting them out with a rusty, worn out allen wrench on a pitching boat. The threads in the plugs are not protected, so every salt water dive there's another dose of salt to corrode the threads if they're left in place to dry. I've already seen one get frozen in place causing some inconvenience to a DIN diver on a recent trip.

Bottom line, when I go somewhere like that, I bring a yoke reg, even if I have to also bring DIN regs for my doubles, which is the usual situation for me in MX. (Cave diving on the mainland, reef diving on Coz)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom