DIN over 3000 PSI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curly

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Are DIN valves required for anything over 3000 PSI?

The PST E-7s all come with the DIN valve with the yoke insert. If you use the yolk on such a tank, are you limited to a 3000 fill?

I should have been more specific -- What are the advantages of a DIN-to-yoke converter when you have a HP steel tank and a yoke reg? I'm considering a HP steel tank, but what I DON'T want to give up my yoke first stage. Will a converter allow the yoke reg to take advantage of a "full" fill on the HP?

The new 3442 psi tanks usually come with "international outlet" or convertible valves, for just this reason. You can use them with either yoke or DIN right up to their rated pressure - the yoke interface is generally considered good enough now for 230 bar.

Yoke connectors have the reputation of not being able to handle as much pressure as DIN, and they are do become less reliable as the pressure gets higher, but they'll handle 3500 psi or so with acceptable reliability, especially if you occasionally replace your yoke face O-rings with a correct "hard" O-ring instead of waiting until they let go.

So there isn't really any reason to use a yoke to DIN adaptor, if have the convertible valve, and you don't have to give up your yoke reg.

oxyhacker:
So there isn't really any reason to use a yoke to DIN adaptor, if have the convertible valve, and you don't have to give up your yoke reg.

This is only true if your yoke is rated to 230 bar. Many yokes are limited to 3000 PSI or less and that includes some fairly recent product. Some older gear tops out below 3000 PSI. Check with a qualified dealer to determine what you have, unless the yoke is marked or you have documentation.

The DIN connnection is a more reliable connection and if you will be diving those cyinders most of the time converting your regulator to a straight on DIN inlet would not be a bad thing to do. In most cases the inlet assembly can be replaced for about $50. For use of yoke cylinders while traveling etc. there is an intermediate adapter that lets you connect.

1. Do you have a 230 bar yoke?
2. What will you dive with most often? Get the best connection for that.

Pete

You get a far more secure connection with DIN, especially if you are going to be using fill pressures over 3000 psi.

Most reg manufacturers offer a DIN conversion that you can convert your current reg over to DIN. If you then want to use a cylinder with a K valve, you can use an adapter on your reg.

It is a much better way of doing it than adapting the cylinder.

Hope this helps!

Gary

In theory, yes. But while I've seen old 1800 psi yokes that have let go, and 2200 psi ones - the really skinny ones. But I can't recall ever seeing a 3000 psi yoke ever letting go on 3442. Or even 3500. I'd be really interested in hearing any reports if anyone else has.

OK the Din connector is probably more reliable, and it's the setup of choice for penetration, deep and deco dives, but that's not what he was asking - the question was not whether din or yoke was in an absolute sense better, but whether he could "legally" use an E tank with his yoke, and he can.

spectrum:
This is only true if your yoke is rated to 230 bar. Many yokes are limited to 3000 PSI or less and that includes some fairly recent product. Some older gear tops out below 3000 PSI. Check with a qualified dealer to determine what you have, unless the yoke is marked or you have documentation.

Indeed. Yoke is certified to 230 bars only! So do not use 230bar equipment (yoke equipment) on a 300bar tank!

Many regulators come in 2 version: a 230bar version (suitable for yoke) and a 300bar version (suitable for 300bar din). Only a few regs are available in 300bar only. Therefore, many yoke regs are not suitable for 300bar, since it makes no sence to support any higher pressure officially anyway.

Of course it will work in most cases, but the probability of having a serious problem will increase significantly. Safety margins do have a reason!

I've just been lurking since being soundly thrashed last week for saying 3442 psi is the same as 230 bar, but since this thread comes up again and again, can somebody clue me in- where does 3442 come from??

Simple.

If you do the conversion from 230 - err.., 232, or maybe 234 - bar into psi, but compensate for temperature, inflation, continental drift, true and magnetic north, coriolis effect, global warming, real and ideal gas laws, compressibility, etc it works out perfectly. Oh and did I mention leap year and daylight savings time? And precession?

Seriously though, part of the mystery is that the DOT rates tanks at 70 F, and the CE at 15 C.

mark99:
I've just been lurking since being soundly thrashed last week for saying 3442 psi is the same as 230 bar, but since this thread comes up again and again, can somebody clue me in- where does 3442 come from??

oxyhacker:
the question was not whether din or yoke was in an absolute sense better, but whether he could "legally" use an E tank with his yoke, and he can.

Only if his yoke is of adequate rating, not all yokes are created equal. One answer does not fit all

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom