DIN Adapters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Modern regulators support the yoke connector with a screw in fitting. Same for DIN. Remove the yoke fitting from the reg and replace with DIN or other way around. Takes 2 minutes. Different regs have slightly different dimensions so you need a DIN fitting designed for that reg. I repeat, these are not 'adapters'. They are screw in fittings to meet your requirement. Now, having said that, if your reg is already equipped with DIN, there IS a yoke 'adapter' that simply screws onto the existing DIN fitting but not the other way around. This is intended for people who own a DIN reg and plan to use it in other countries where DIN may not be the norm. Older regs like the Conshelf do not have a screw in yoke or DIN fitting. The yoke orifice is fixed.It cannot be swapped out with a DIN fitting. Therefore there is no DIN screw in fitting for the Conshelf. If you want DIN you have to move up to a Titan or higher level.
Pesky

Okay... so when folks talk about adapters to connect INT/yoke 1st stages to DIN valves, what are they talking about?

--Marek

Marek K:
Lemonade-- That doesn't quite make sense, either... The other old adapter I have -- just like this one -- has a plastic tag on it, saying "NOT FOR USE ABOVE 3000 PSI OR 200 BAR." Besides, if it is indeed an adapter for an INT/yoke 1st stage, it wouldn't be for 300 bar, would it? Since yokes are only for up to 3,000 psi/200 bar?
--Marek

Yes, I believe, Yoke (A-Clamp) connections are to be used with pressures not higher than 232 Bar or 3442 PSI
Anything below that pressure can be equipped with Yoke or so called 200 Bar DIN (short thread)

Above 232 Bar has to use 300 Bar DIN (long thread).

Which came first?
I´ve only ever seen "DIN-tanks" that have been converted to yoke...even in Egypt when I got a "yoke-tank" they just unsrew the adapter (stone, pit, whatever you wanna call it...we just say adapter here in Sweden) and voila! a proper DIN tank ;-)

I would have thought it easier to convert the tank than the reg (just screw/unscrew the adapter) than fiddling around with your reg...actually...whoever wrote that must have meant 1st stage and not reg...right?

This could quickly become confusing...

grazie42:
I would have thought it easier to convert the tank than the reg (just screw/unscrew the adapter) than fiddling around with your reg...actually...whoever wrote that must have meant 1st stage and not reg...right?
Only a few makes of 200 bar valves can be converted with the thread-in adapter that you are talking about. 300bar valves cannot be converted using this, and even if you could get the adapter in there, the yoke would not fit around the head.

The adapter pictured above is for filling purposes only and is not intended for mounting a reg, though many people obviously do it.

The smart move would be to convert the reg to DIN and then use an adapter to go back to yoke when needed.

Mania--

Oh!! I just figured out what you were trying to show me with the image!

Those are called hex keys (yes, I know, "keys!") in American English. That's easy... I though this tool for the DIN adapters was something unique and exotic. Um, where does the hex key fit into the adapter/pestka?

--Marek

mania:
Marek - first two keys from your right are "klucz ampulowy" the one you use to put "pestka" in or out tank's valve.

http://www.bikeman.pl/product_info.php/cPath/54_60/products_id/195

Mania

Marek K:
Mania--

Oh!! I just figured out what you were trying to show me with the image!

Those are called hex keys (yes, I know, "keys!") in American English. That's easy... I though this tool for the DIN adapters was something unique and exotic. Um, where does the hex key fit into the adapter/pestka?

--Marek

Sort of inside of "pestka" - when you get it you will immediatly see where the key fits in. Pestka is simply - as it was written - a sort of a screw or rather a bolt with the hole inside. But of course you need a proper size of hex key. On most of the Egyptian boats this key is a standard equipment.
Mania

OK, this thing is clearly a filler. The Leisure Pro web site lists it as "Din to Yoke Tank Filler Adapter." Though the print catalog that I used lists it as "Yoke-to-DIN Adapter - DIN fitting to standard yoke adapter limited to 3,00o psi by DOT."

(Lesson learned: Among other concerns, only order from Leisure Pro when you personally know what it is you're ordering. I was obviously a bit outside the range of my knowledge, though I didn't know it. Live and learn.)

So what to do now?

Rich and pescador-- I think you're right, the most-elegant solution, certainly if I were always attaching to DIN tanks, would be to get the converters for our 1st stages. Attached is what Leisure Pro lists for my Sherwood, right? Says it will take 300 bar.

But even this is $44.95 each. And it's a big chunk of heavy metal to drag around with me; I'd still need the old yoke in case I dive somewhere with INT bottles. (The Red Sea area where I'm going on vacation apparently has a mixture of both types of valves, depending on who's running a particular dive operation.)

I'm thinking my best solution for now would be to just get several of the cheap (~$5.00 equivalent) "stone/pit" plug adapters for the DIN valves... and that's only to make sure I have some available that are in good shape. Unlike 1st stages, DIN tank valves should all be standardized for 200-bar tanks, right? (But what if I run into a 300-bar tank?)

Eh?

Anyway, as always, it's been an education. Thanks.

--Marek

Marek
In the Red Sea area you will not find 300 bar tanks. In fact I'm surprised that the diving center you will be using has DIN tanks. It's probably because they co-operate with Poles and Germans which on mass scale use DIN, so they simply took fillers out if the tanks. Most of the centers I know are using INT tanks. The old INT type was a problem - the filler was not removable. Nowadays valves are simpler so to be honest I would recommend not buying anything else but the filler ("pestka"). At least when we are talking about diving in Europe and Middle East.
Don't ask me about the US - I have no idea.... :wink:
BTW - I could recommend you a good dive shop here in Warsaw, the one I can guarantee would provide proper service.
Mania

Mania--

The dive operation we'll be using (Extra Divers, Makadi Bay) is German... they have several operations in the region. Their web site (German only!) says DIN tanks, with adapters available.

I didn't realize there was a large-scale change in INT valves recently... are most of them convertible now, with removable plugs? I thought these were just standard DIN valves that would accept an adapter.

So... whom would you recommend here in Warsaw? So far, I've visited:

-- Octopus Adventure, ul. Potocka. Good because they happened to be offering an English-language OWD course that I could get my son into. Also because they're co-located with a public pool. Kind of limited as far as in-store products, though.

-- Akademia Podwodna, Wybrzeze Gdanskie. Good for me, because they seem to be the only Sherwood dealer in town. Actually, they have to send regulators out to Wroclaw for servicing. And I'm still waiting, after a month.

-- Dive Center "Pijawka," ul. Pulawska. The first place I checked out. Seem to be knowledgeable, but I was there asking about English-language courses. The guy said they didn't offer any. Two days later, after I'd signed up with Octopus Adventures, I got a call from Pijawka that they did indeed "of course" offer OWD in English. Sorry.

--Marek

mania:
Marek
In the Red Sea area you will not find 300 bar tanks. In fact I'm surprised that the diving center you will be using has DIN tanks. It's probably because they co-operate with Poles and Germans which on mass scale use DIN, so they simply took fillers out if the tanks. Most of the centers I know are using INT tanks. The old INT type was a problem - the filler was not removable. Nowadays valves are simpler so to be honest I would recommend not buying anything else but the filler ("pestka"). At least when we are talking about diving in Europe and Middle East.
Don't ask me about the US - I have no idea.... :wink:
BTW - I could recommend you a good dive shop here in Warsaw, the one I can guarantee would provide proper service.
Mania

Marek
Scubaservice is a good one although it's SSI not PADI. Besides that I have a lot of collegues - instructors that speak English and can do course in English. I don't know Pijawka so I can't help you with this one.

IANTD guys are really good and in fact one them just translated and published the "DIR. Fundamentals of better diving" written by JJ. So this is the first DIR book that was published in Poland!!!!
Mania

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom