DIN Adapters?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marek K

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi--

I've searched the forum, but haven't found a (clear) answer...

I'm an American with INT/yoke 1st stages, currently living in Warsaw, Poland. Just getting back into diving after 14 years.

15 years ago, while living in Germany, I bought some DIN adapters so I could use the DIN valve tanks there. These adapters were screwed into the valve by hand, using a knurled wheel, and had an entire k-valve-type fitting on the other end. Worked well, as I remember; only minor problem was that it mounted the whole 1st stage at a 90-degree angle toward the front -- meant that I had to get used to the configuration of the hoses.

Since I could only find one adapter now, I mail ordered a second one (from Leisure Pro!!). Aside from minor design differences, it looks identical to my old one.

Problem is, it won't fit onto the DIN valves my local dive shop has (ScubaPro tanks). These adapters both have a 1/4" extension protruding beyond the end that goes inside the valve, that bottom out against the back of the valve before the 0-ring can seat. (Image attached, with credit to Leisure Pro).

Dive shop says they've never seen adapters like these. They use plug-type adapters that screw into the DIN valve using some kind of special tool; they fit completely inside the valve, and don't change the orientation of the 1st stage. They're ordering a couple for me, at a price of $5 equivalent each; quite a difference from the $49.95 I paid for the mail-order adapter.

So what are these adapters that I've got? Isn't DIN -- by definition -- supposed to be standard? And why were they working for me before? (Or am I just getting old??)

--Marek

Marek K:
They use plug-type adapters that screw into the DIN valve using some kind of special tool; they fit completely inside the valve, and don't change the orientation of the 1st stage. They're ordering a couple for me, at a price of $5 equivalent each; quite a difference from the $49.95 I paid for the mail-order adapter.

--Marek

Marek, these are adaptors I talked about in the other thread and proposed to lend you.
I also have never seen yours adaptors but I'm a diver for not so long as you.
Mania

Mania-- (OK, is that a nickname? Screen name?)

Yeah, I thought that's what you might have been talking about, when I saw those small screw-in adapters at the dive shop here last night. They called them "pestki." I saw someone else (you?) once refer to adapters in English as "stones." Actually, that would be the British usage (kamyczki??); we call pestki "pits," as in peach pits.

But that doesn't sound right, either.

Oh... I appreciate the offer to borrow them, but for that kind of price, I really should have several of my own...

--Marek

mania:
Marek, these are adaptors I talked about in the other thread and proposed to lend you.
I also have never seen yours adaptors but I'm a diver for not so long as you.
Mania

While I haven't used that particular adapter, I used an adapter for filling a din tank from a yoke style compressor whip when I was in mississippi. The adapter had the same 1/4" extension causing a similar problem to what you are having. The shop owner took ours to a local metal worker who basically ground down the extension so everthing was flush then we had no problems filling tanks.

To be on the safe side since you are going to be using these to dive with vice just filling tanks. I would contact the manufacture and see if grinding them down will impact their performance.

Marek,
Sounds like you have 300 Bar DIN valve on your tank and 200 Bar adapter.

The difference is that 200 Bar connections have shorter thread.

They are specifically designed this way so you cannot connect 200 Bar equipment to 300 Bar tanks, but the other way around it will work just fine.

Marek K:
Mania-- (OK, is that a nickname? Screen name?)....

My real name is Maria - but Mania is a nickname I have had since the primary school. And a lot of my friends still call me like this.

Marek K:
I saw someone else (you?) once refer to adapters in English as "stones." Actually, that would be the British usage (kamyczki??); we call pestki "pits," as in peach pits.
Yes it was me. In English (the one I was taught) stone means not only "kamień" but also:
"a large hard seed inside some types of fruit:
Peaches, plums, dates, avocados and olives all contain stones". This is why I used this expression - not knowing how good is your Polish I didn't want to use "pestka".

BTW this special tool is called "klucz ampulowy" - I have no idea haw it's in English (any English :wink: )

Pozdrowienia
Mania

Mania (I'll stick with that) :D --

Yeah, the stone/pit difference (but only when talking about fruit seeds!!) is one of those "divided by a common language" things.

But neither "stone" nor "pit" would work in English as slang for your DIN adapter. Not sure what would... Maybe "button?" Though it's a bit too thick... Maybe there already is an English slang for it...

I would call the tool... a "tool." I don't know what it looks like yet, but "key" would definitely be wrong.

--Marek

mania:
My real name is Maria - but Mania is a nickname I have had since the primary school. And a lot of my friends still call me like this.

Yes it was me. In English (the one I was taught) stone means not only "kamień" but also:
"a large hard seed inside some types of fruit:
Peaches, plums, dates, avocados and olives all contain stones". This is why I used this expression - not knowing how good is your Polish I didn't want to use "pestka".

BTW this special tool is called "klucz ampulowy" - I have no idea haw it's in English (any English :wink: )

Pozdrowienia
Mania

Hey, Marek,
In the US, that adapter is only used for filling tanks from a compressor. It has nothing to do with adapting a regulator. I don't know about the long extension. Normally, the guide is only about 1/8 inch if I remember correctly. I've heard of 'reverse Polish' but it is frowned on over here, except for some older types of computer algorithm. I mean, the manufacturers cringe when their DIN valves are set up this way.

RIDIVER501-- Yeah, the Polish dive shop owner suggested grinding the extension down too, to make it fit. Sounded a little extreme to me, and we both agreed that the best solution would be to buy the dirt-cheap adapters they were using.

Lemonade-- That doesn't quite make sense, either... The other old adapter I have -- just like this one -- has a plastic tag on it, saying "NOT FOR USE ABOVE 3000 PSI OR 200 BAR." Besides, if it is indeed an adapter for an INT/yoke 1st stage, it wouldn't be for 300 bar, would it? Since yokes are only for up to 3,000 psi/200 bar?

pescador-- I just measured the extension, and it's exactly 1/4". You could be right -- this could be a filler adapter. But these have all been advertised (not just by Leisure Pro) as just adapters; no word about filler adapters. Besides, I'm quite certain I used the other one with German DIN tanks 15 years ago. But those might indeed have been 300 bar tanks.

I don't understand what you meant by your last two sentences... 'reverse Polish' being frowned upon, computer algorithm, manufacturers cringing... was I missing something?

Anyway, I think I'll send this adapter back to Leisure Pro and get my $49.95 back... and just stick with the smaller screw-in adapters the dive shop is ordering for me.

Okay... so when folks talk about adapters to connect INT/yoke 1st stages to DIN valves, what are they talking about?

--Marek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom