Dilated cardiomyopathy and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
My daughter and I are interested in becoming divers. We have not began the certification process. My daughter has dilated cardiomyopathy with an ejection fraction of 44%. Is diving a safe option for her to explore? She is on one medication, a beta blocker.

Hi--I will move your question to the diving medicine section.

@Dr. Doug Ebersole is an interventional cardiologist who is also a tech diving instructor. If he doesn't jump in here I'm sure he would respond to a PM. In brief, immersion in water leads to a redistribution of blood to the vessels of the torso, increases preload, and can also increase afterload. With her decreased EF she may also be at risk of developing immersion pulmonary edema. What has her cardiologist said about physical activity?

Best regards,
DDM

@Dr. Doug Ebersole is an interventional cardiologist who is also a tech diving instructor. If he doesn't jump in here I'm sure he would respond to a PM. In brief, immersion in water leads to a redistribution of blood to the vessels of the torso, increases preload, and can also increase afterload. With her decreased EF she may also be at risk of developing immersion pulmonary edema. What has her cardiologist said about physical activity?

Best regards,
DDM
Thank you for the information. Her cardiologist does not have her on restriction at this time. She has been able to recreationally play tennis and live a pretty normal life.
However, I guess it’s also important to note that she had an episode of clotting when she was first diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy (which was the symptom that alerted us). She had this episode at 3 years, and is now 15. She’s expressed interest in marine biology, and if diving is out of the question, I’d like to gently steer her away and towards something else. She absolutely hates not being able to do what she wants to do. I appreciate all of the information.

I’d suggest calling Divers Alert Network at +1-919-684-2948 getting a referral to a dive knowledgeable cardiologist in your area. That’s what I’d do if it were my child.

Janet, is she on anticoagulants or any other medications? May I ask where in California you are? Feel free to respond via PM if you'd like. I may be able to refer you to someone if there's a diving physician nearby.

Best regards,
DDM

Back
Top Bottom