Digital

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSilvia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an MX-10 that I've gotten great results with, but after several dives with Funky_Monks, I'm getting to really like the instant gratification and computer-readiness of digital photography.

What digital systems do you recommend? I'd like something versatile that I can add a strobe flash to if desired.

Most versatile these days would appear to be the Camedia C4040Zoom in a PT-010 housing - check out Dee's past posts.

That would be the cheap option anyway - all depends on your budget......

Jonathan

When I first started considering digital, the initial cost was a concern. The ability to take really great photos with no strobe and only the internal camera flash, (if needed) was one of the biggest selling points of the Olympus C-4040/PT-010 combo. You can get both the camera and housing, a couple of 128mg Smart Media cards, a couple sets of rechargeable batteries and charger for under $1000.

Of the many choices, I chose the Sea & Sea YS90DX strobe for several reasons. One is the fiber optic cable connection for the PT-010 housing. It's easy to connect and since it's not a mechanical connection, there's no chance of flooding a sync cord. The 12 power settings gives me a very wide range of lighting opportunities. Just takes a little practice.

See my post to Peter at http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10702&perpage=15&display=&pagenumber=1 for some links that may be helpful to you.

If you have any questions, please ask!

Dee,(and anyone else with info) I am considering going digital and have considered the Olympus 3020 or 3040 with the Olympus PT 010 housing. Do you have any experience or knowledge of the 30 series cameras, or would I be better served going to the 40 series. At this point, economics is my main motivator, but I don't want to buy something and wish I had gone the extra mile. Is the difference that great. I'm not looking for great photos, just good pictures.

Thanks for your input

John

Originally posted by Johnb57
Dee,(and anyone else with info) I am considering going digital and have considered the Olympus 3020 or 3040 with the Olympus PT 010 housing. Do you have any experience or knowledge of the 30 series cameras, or would I be better served going to the 40 series. At this point, economics is my main motivator, but I don't want to buy something and wish I had gone the extra mile. Is the difference that great. I'm not looking for great photos, just good pictures.

Thanks for your input

John

As with all electronics, the best digital camera today will be obsolete by the time you get it home. To slow down this insane process, I always buy the best I can afford. That way it won't be "old stuff" so quickly.

Originally posted by Johnb57

Thanks for your input

John

There are some minute differences in the C-30xx and C-40xx series cameras. I had to make the same decision last winter when I bought my C-4040. As Rooster mentioned, the digital cameras are progressing so fast they are obsolete when you get them home. In fact my camera is just 7 mo. old and there's already newer models on the market.

If the choice is between C-30xx and C-4040...I'd go with the C-4040 unless there is a significant $$ difference. The price has really come down on the 4040 and with a PT-010 housing, you can get into digital photography for about the same as some point and shoot u/w film cameras.

Originally posted by MSilvia
but after several dives with Funky_Monks, I'm getting to really like the instant gratification and computer-readiness of digital photography.

And just wait until you can see what that camera can do in clear water!

A teaser:
[ambient light @ 110fsw, slight contrast correction @ modification to black & white].

Dee and Rooster, thanks for your replies, I guess you are telling me what I know in the back of my mind is true. I'm going shopping this weekend and will give serious consideration to the 4040. Heck, it's only money, but I also need a new BC so I have to keep the wife's economic mind in the picture too.

Thanks again

jb

OK, I did it, I purhased the 3040 and I'm ording the Olympus PT-010 housing. The only problem is the camera eats bateries. I can only get 10 pictures with the flash and view screen on. Is this normal. If so, this is unaccepatabele. (Do I have a defect?)

Johnb57

Only 10 pics????......Something’s fishy !!! I have that same camera and can grab many ,many more pics than that....yes even using the LCD screen and flash. The 3v lithium that came with the camera had good life but are pretty expensive. Alkaline don’t last to long either. What you need to do is buy some rechargeable NIMH 1600mAh batteries and they even have a higher rated battery out now (at least two sets of batteries) that way you are never without power. If you have been playing around with the LCD (using it to review pics) that can put a big dent in the batteries life.

If this was the first set of batteries I wouldn’t worry too much as I'm sure your playing around with the camera trying to figure it out.....you will use them up quickly playing with all the menu screens.
If downloading to a computer/viewing on the TV you need to get the A/C adapter ....again to take the burden off the batteries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom