Difficult post for me to write.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another update. Surgery was done Friday morning. They removed the gall bladder and put the tube in. Surgeon said everything went perfect. She is on a ventilator because they want to keep her in icu for recovery due to her history of nausea after surgery, the fact that with her vocal chord paralysis she cannot speak perhaps well enough to tell them of any pain, and in icu there is a nurse with her 24hrs. They expect to remove the vent this morning. Her mom and I came home last night to get some well needed rest and are going back in in an hour or so. Thank you all for the cards. She has quite few that we will be taking in with us when we go in. Her mom is just flabbergasted at them. She is getting more from you all than from her family and family friends. Her mom keeps asking " Who are these people?" I just say ones who care about divers AND their families, some of the best people in the world and why I'm glad to be one of them. I'll be sending private thanks out later. Gotta get going now.

Jim I am so sorry to hear about this. Stay strong and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife this Holiday season. My she recover quickly.

My prayers are with you both. I have been down this road and cards, calls, prayers from everyone and anyone are the most uplifting thing you can imagine. Agian my prayers are with you both.

Jim, you are both in our hearts and prayers.

Take care,

Jon & Stacy Schneiderman

Hello Jim,
Thank you for the update and it is good to hear the surgery went well.
We are praying for recovery and strength. Hang in there and be sure to let us know if there are any specific things that would help out. Take care my friend,
CamG

Yesterday they took her off the vent. Today it seems they need to put a pic line in because her veins are so small and they have had to poke and prod her so many times that her veins are getting too worn out. She should be going to a regular room though so that is good news. It is also looking more and more like we will be spending Christmas in the hospital. I stayed home this morning to bake and have one more tray of nutrolls to put in. Then I'll be heading out to see her. Your cards have been a great source of happiness. She is getting more cards from SB members than from her own family and she has a pretty big one.

Prayers and warm thoughts to Jim and Denise

good thoughts and prayers sent your way. I dont know you or your wife but have seen you around the boards. I will send Denise a cat card!! Hope she is feeling better soon !!

She is doing better. They have increased the volume on the tube feeding and she is tolerating it very well. Her breathing is much better but there is still some cloudiness on the xray. Planning for another thoracentesis to remove more fluid from the pleural cavity tomorrow. The culture for the fluid they took from her lung came back ok. Her white count is still up but dropping. So that is a good sign. If the procedure tomorrow goes ok she will be sent to a regular room and out of ICU. That is a lot better since I'll be able to go in any time instead of just an hour 3 times a day.

They have also started her back on her regular meds which is very good because once she becomes more alert and realizes what all has been done and what she has been through she will need those. Right now she is getting a small dose of zanax to help her relax. She does not appear to be in as much pain as it is discomfort. Since she is not ambulatory on her own anyway it is tough. The bed is a rotating one to keep her moving and keep pressure sores from developing. Once her lungs are clear they will start physical therapy like she was getting before. Even with her MD we were always careful to move her limbs and work them. Even though she has no real control over her muscles for the most part there has never been any atrophy of them.

The nurses in ICU have been great. They say she is one of their least troublesome patients. She lets them know when she needs something and they are getting to the point where even with her limited speech they understand most of her needs. I do have to admit that I am really getting run down between work, the hospital runs, family stuff, and my writing. I am working on a course and have been pecking away at it but it is not where I'd like it to be. For the first week or so it was very good for me to do it. It kept my mind occupied. Now it is not doing so much for that. Your thoughts, cards, messages, and prayers help her, me ,and her mom. Keep it coming. I don't know what I'd do without this outlet. Hope you all had a Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year. Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom