Difficult post for me to write.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim,

Just finished reading this and from the deepest depths of my heart I am so sorry and wish you the best. You and your wife and the rest of your family are in my prayers. I hope that this last little improvement continues and that each day brings a little bit of more improvement.

All the best.

Kyle

Thanks to everyone. Ph and she'd kill me if she knew I revealed it but I am staying at the hospital tomorrow night and every night this weekend. They have an extra bed in the room for me. When the neurologist came in with her night nurse I told them what she said about me staying. That she'd like that and maybe we could fool around being that it is New Years eve! They gave her a look at that I'll tell ya. Thanks again for all your support. It is not over yet by a long shot. But maybe we have just won another small battle.

:shocked2: :chuckle: Glad you are both feeling better... great news and enjoy your New Year's Eve together.

Yesterday was a bad day, Sorry and thank you guys for letting me get that out.

Finally I got to do the feeding this evening. It made me feel better. The nurse supervised and we were done in 5 minutes. And I made an observation. 10 minutes or so after the feeding she was dozing and laying at about 35 degrees. Recommended is 30 min. So she was theoretically ok as as far as chance of choking. Well she began to have difficulty exactly like what scared the nurse. I raised the bed as I talked to her and she was fine. It makes sense. Even though she has been getting fed via the tube it was on a pump over a long time. We just started the BOLUS yesterday. A very good chance that filling her stomach faster may make breathing difficult until she gets used to it and we need to be more upright.

Firstly I am happy that SB is the sort of place where you can vent -you don't even need to apologise. This is what makes SB what it is!

Secondly you should chat to the doctors about the "choking" thing with the feeds. Sometimes the feeding tube can be placed lower ie into the first part of the small bowel to prevent the risk of aspiration ( feeds going into her lungs) This is usually done under a little or even no sedation with a "gastroscope". Alternately the feeds can be over a longer period until she is healthier and better able to tolerate the volume

Just a thought - I do these sorts of procedures but I do work in Canada so am not overly familiar with the American system .

Enjoy your time with Denise. Our thoughts are with you

Jim...Wow....how scary for you both. I wish we could get together with all our SB buddies and do a group hug.....Remember steps go up and down....she just missed one and now has her footing firmly in place for the next one.......

Jim,
Sorry to hear about your wife's condition. Hopefully she will recover soon. Hope you are doing well also, I'm sure it isn't easy for you either.

Things are looking up. She has had several good days. They are still working out they exact tube feed/hydration ratio stuff but her color is better, vitals all good and white count while still up is coming down. She also still has a little noise in the lower lobe of the left lung but everything else is clear. She is still weak and needs lots of rest but barring any further complications she may get to go home sooner than later.

Things are looking up. She has had several good days. They are still working out they exact tube feed/hydration ratio stuff but her color is better, vitals all good and white count while still up is coming down. She also still has a little noise in the lower lobe of the left lung but everything else is clear. She is still weak and needs lots of rest but barring any further complications she may get to go home sooner than later.

Excellent news. You guys are still in our prayers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom