Differing skill levels on group dives...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Destination and operator is important. Some places have mandatory DMs. Others not so much.

We primaily do Bonaire and LOB in T&C or Belize. DIve guides are provided, but you are free to dive as a buddy team and ignore the guide. They do have time contraints, generally 60 or 70 minute maximum.

On a recent trip to CCV the DM loosened up after the first day and let us buddy team away from the group as long as we headed in the same direction as the group (we generally went much slower and a bit more shallow). And the second tank is a drop off dive with no DM.

You asked about Roatan , I have never been but keep seeing an add for a place called CoCo view ! Gott say they have me doing some research online lol! Check out their website.

You asked about Roatan , I have never been but keep seeing an add for a place called CoCo view ! Gott say they have me doing some research online lol! Check out their website.
I've not been to Roatan either but my LDS does a trip to CoCo View every year. Those I've talked to that have been rave about the place. The wife and I hope to get down there within the next couple of years.

I've not been to Roatan either but my LDS does a trip to CoCo View every year. Those I've talked to that have been rave about the place. The wife and I hope to get down there within the next couple of years.
Trip advisor has tons of awesome reviews really surprised me!!

I dive mostly on grand cayman as we have a place there, and all my boat dives with the few ops I've gone with are limited by one's own ndl and air. We usually turn the dive at the first person's half tank, but after we get back to the boat we are pretty much free to wander wherever and ascend whenever. The great thing about boat diving in the caymans is that the boat trips (especially west side) take just a few minutes, so less pressure to call the dive early to keep on schedule.

Trip advisor has tons of awesome reviews really surprised me!!
CCV is very popular. But read the reviews carefully. CCV is a well oiled machine. And (I believe) they have a large percentage of return divers. They are special and simple.Do you like their special? They are excellant at what they do. Do you want that?

I don't know about Coco View but Anthony's Key was very nice. Coco View and Anthony's Key both have outstanding shore diving as well so those of us wanting more than just 3 dives a day are fortunate. Anthony's Key group divers to each boat based on experience so we had a week of relative freedom and 60 minute dives. None of the people I was traveling with would have done well with beginners or new divers aboard.

AKR and Cocoview are both excellent operations. My wife and I stay at Fantasy Island which is across the bay from Cocoview. Its a bit more rustic, but it a cheaper as well. They have a good dive operation and it is very relaxed. Its all inclusve and you can get as many as 4 boat dives a day and as many shore dives as you can squeeze in.

AKR and Cocoview are both excellent operations. My wife and I stay at Fantasy Island which is across the bay from Cocoview. Its a bit more rustic, but it a cheaper as well. They have a good dive operation and it is very relaxed. Its all inclusve and you can get as many as 4 boat dives a day and as many shore dives as you can squeeze in.
Fantasia land must be quite the place, she is completely booked for the coming winter season lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom