Differing skill levels on group dives...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver0008

New
Reaction score
On a recent trip, my dive buddy and I were with a group of less experienced divers. Our dives were always very short and after about 25 to 30 minutes of rushing around in a tight pack, we were meandering around below the boat in relatively shallow water seemingly waiting for people to do their safety stops and exit the water. We consistently exited the water with 1800 to 2000 psi. This was not pleasant. When after a few dives like this, I had had enough, I raised the issue. I was told by the divemaster that some of the other less experienced divers were running dangerously low on air, so the DM had decided to get the whole group shallow and close to the boat early. Hard to blame him for that.

This was one issue. The other was that the DM was banging his tank constantly to point out what seemed like every and anything. This, I know, some people like. We, however do not. We prefer few such abrupt distractions.

Fortunately, we were able to be moved to another group with more comparable experience levels, and a DM who knew this. Our dives were always 60+ min, the pace was slow, and we were left to wander off and find things and point them out to each other on our own. The DM would make some noise once in a while to point out something very special, or to get us back together to move to another area.

So, with another trip upcoming, to Cozumel, and Roatan in the not too distant future, I wonder if some advice can be offerred to anyone interested, including of course myself, on how best to deal with or avoid such situations. Do certain dive ops cater more generally to experienced divers? Do certain dive ops, volume allowing, make concerted efforts to group divers of comparable skill levels? Should you find yourself in a situation that limits your enjoyment, is there a suggested protocol to try and remedy the situation?

We were all beginner divers. I remember not so long ago, being the one running low on air myself, surely to the detriment of the experienced divers present, so no offense intended to anyone.

Unless something has been pre arranged we tend to consider the first dive a "giveaway dive" or test dive. The DM's need to see us in the water and we like to have a look at the other divers. That way we can all get a sense of skill levels.

Once they see how we are in the water, if we request "more freedom" they are generally happy to comply. In some cases we will arrange to splash first to extend the dive a bit taking advantage of the fact that newer divers are often slower to gear up and enter. We can also stay in a bit longer while the newer ones are exiting. That method can extend the dive without leaving a bunch of people on the boat waiting for us to surface. Kinda fairer for all. Those with good SAC get a longer dive those with a lower SAC don't have to feel bad for shortening the dive or wait too long.

It is always good to let the Operator know that you understand and respect they have a schedule to meet. Sometimes this means flat out asking what time they want you back on the boat.

Some areas have a policy on the amount of gas, depth and time of dives. Some areas have "inspectors" go to the dive Operators and check all the computers in their shop for compliance. It isn't fair to compromise the Dive operator's business so we need to be respectful of the local requirements. That said... my personal choice is to find these things out before I select a destination.

Today you learned that vacation cattle boats and slave labor dms in dive destinations are garbage. You're well on your way to the world of small boats and private charters. On the off chance I wind up on a boat with an in water dm I make sure we have two understandings, they never ever never not once touch my gear, and I'm not diving with them I just happen to be in the water at the same time as them.

If my dive was continuously called because other divers I would ask for at least a partial refund since I only got fractional dives compared to what I paid for. And if I have 2000 psi left and cookie cutter vacation guide gave me the up signal I would just wave byebye. That's the important thing to remember, you are a certified diver and paying customer. A dm isn't an instructor, and you don't have to follow their commands, you paid them they work for you, not the other way around.

Last edited:
Avoid a boat catering to cruise boats. They sometimes have to get folks back by a certain time and if things are running late they will cut dives short.

Note that outside of NC I am almost always without any prearranged buddies so it is instabuddy time. I rarely dive with DM lead boats but my experience has been the opposite of blac86. On larger boats in the Caymans the passengers were split into two groups. The experienced diver group which I was in was fine. We drifted along and guide once in a while would point out something. We spread out and dived in a different area then the less experienced. On smaller boats in Mexico and the Keys it is the reverse. There is usually a small group that know each other and then me. So I am sometimes limited by them.

For instabuddies if they are not very experienced I prefer female given a choice. They are better on average on their air supply and tend to be also be better at staying reasonably close and following the plan.

@Steve_C that has been my experience as well. Protocols vary by locations. Queensland requires all divers on Dive operators boats surface with 50bar and carry a snorkle. PNG trips and Indonesia organized people by experience and dive skill. Maldives dive shops are subject to Inspectors checking computers to ensure nobody has logged a dive longer than 60 minutes or depth greater than their specifications no matter what certificate divers have.

California gives you a dive brief and lets you do your own thing with no DM in the water. My Florida diving has been pre arranged with people connected to SB and the dive operator so probably not representative. They let us do our thing as long as we didn't delay the departure time they needed to be able to get back for the next trip.

In my experience people are much more likely to give you what you ask for if you ask nicely :)

OOPs Corrected typo should have been 50Bar

Last edited:
We dive with Careyitos Divers in Cozumel and have for the last 14 years. You always get to dive your tank and dives are always 75 minutes or whenever you run low on air. Divers who use their air more quickly are sent up to do their safety stop and the boat picks them up. A second dive master in the back of the group shoots up a safety sausage and makes sure you get back in the boat okay. Others are free to continue their dive up to 75 minutes. As a bonus they serve the best lunch during the 1.5 hour SI. The boat has a head and both a place for sun or shade. You will be hard pressed to find a better operator. We have over 1000 dives and would never use anyone else in Cozumel.

@Steve_C My Florida diving has been pre arranged with people connected to SB and the dive operator so probably not representative. They let us do our thing as long as we didn't delay the departure time they needed to be able to get back for the next trip.

My experience in FL on larger boats also and I am totaly unconnected in FL.

In my experience people are much more likely to give you what you ask for if you ask nicely :)

The larger version of that is just be nice to people, especially the help. My son, now 45, has claimed repeatedly that was the best advice I ever gave him.

Tres Pelicanos in Coz seems to divide people between their two boats based on experience/competence. Also, they did not get bent out of shape when an experienced pair of divers came up after the DM. Dive your profile/tank is their motto.

I have not had much trouble calling ahead of a trip and finding a dive operator that would let me dive my tank. And sometimes even rent me a 100 or 120, to boot.

Do your research and establish your mutual expectations before you book.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom