Differing skill levels on group dives...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I try to get my requests for type of group in when you book. Of course they all say "we handle anything" but at least you may have some leverage. Maybe get the name of the person that made the assurances.

For me, it's "not with a group of photogs please".

- Bill

So, with another trip upcoming, to Cozumel, and Roatan in the not too distant future, I wonder if some advice can be offerred to anyone interested, including of course myself, on how best to deal with or avoid such situations. Do certain dive ops cater more generally to experienced divers? Do certain dive ops, volume allowing, make concerted efforts to group divers of comparable skill levels?
Yes, different operators provide vastly different experiences. It is up to you to do your homework and match up with the ones best suited to you. The source I sue the most for this is ScubaBoard. Go to the regional forum for the place you intended to visit. You will find MANY threads started by people asking for the same information you are seeking. Search those threads first, then refine a final question for yourself and start a new thread with it. I will NEVER go with a dive operation I have not checked out ahead of time.

Fantasia land must be quite the place, she is completely booked for the coming winter season lol.

I think I missed the joke...

NM, saw your next post.

I think its popular (and marketed to) Central and South American tourists. Price wise its pretty hard to beat. First trip there my wife and I got a BOGO. 20 dives, meals and drinks for 800 bucks for the week. Like I said, its rustic. But we like it, and the people there are nice.

I have not had much trouble calling ahead of a trip and finding a dive operator that would let me dive my tank. And sometimes even rent me a 100 or 120, to boot.

Do your research and establish your mutual expectations before you book.
That's the best advise--especially with the multiple ways you can contact people these days. I have only done one tropical trip, which went fine--I got what I paid for on the dives. There were a couple of other things, regarding a charge for shore dives, and another "hotel" matter--that I should have been more precise about when contacting the op to set up the week's trip. Be very detailed on what you want and keep the e mails.
Of course, I 've taken numerous charters in the US where you do the instabuddy thing and don't dive with a DM. Most of those went fine. But that's a different situation.

I stayed at las rocas in roatan. It was budget friendly and an all around good place to stay. They used a white board at the dive shop that listed all the dives for the week. just write your name in the slot. standard was a 9am, 1130, and then a 230. all were single tank trips and back to the dock. they had additional night dives and whatnot listed. I did however have some difficulty getting afternoon dives. they required at least 2 people to take the boat out. Everyone dove the mornings and hit up happy hour that started at 3.

Thanks for the replies. We are booked with Tres Pelicanos, so sounds like that will work out well. Any suggestions for a good Roatan op welcomed.

You can check out the bay islands forum on SB, but honestly it tends to be the same handful of people that post on that forum over the years, one of whom is a dedicated cocoview customer.

Basically, there are three types of Roatan resorts/dive ops/areas. There are a couple of all inclusives like cocoview and Anthony's key, there are the west end small ops and less expensive hotels, and there are more upscale hotels (with dive ops that serve them) in the west bay area.

The west bay, west end, and Anthony's key are on the north side of the island, where most of the better-known dive sites are. Cocoview and Fantasy Island are on the south side. The north side tends to have more variety in the sites and tends to be little less windy, although there are days when the wind is coming from the north.

My experience on Roatan was a summer spent there a decade or so ago doing my DM with one of the more popular ops in the west end, and I enjoyed it. It's a little strip of funky-but-charming restaurants and dive ops. The crowd in the west end tends to be a bit younger and much more European than at the bigger (more expensive) all inclusives.

I would say the biggest difference between the areas of Roatan is more in the vibe and amenities of the hotels than in the differences in diving. Although, IMO the north side is generally much more interesting diving than the south side. None of it is nearly as good as the better sites in Cozumel; again, my opinion. Despite making friends and having great familiarity with the west end, I've never gone back to Roatan, where as I go to Cozumel (and the mainland for cave diving) every chance I get.

@Steve_C that has been my experience as well. Protocols vary by locations. Queensland requires all divers on Dive operators boats surface with 50bar and carry a snorkle. PNG trips and Indonesia organized people by experience and dive skill. Maldives dive shops are subject to Inspectors checking computers to ensure nobody has logged a dive longer than 60 minutes or depth greater than their specifications no matter what certificate divers have.
In Maldives, their state law prohibits (1) diving deeper than 30 m (100 ft); (2) solo diving (3) deco diving. Maximum underwater time per single dive is not regulated. If they checked your comp they were looking for max depth or indications of deco.

At some atolls, as I've heard, local laws further regulate max depth, smth like "24 m for OWD, 30 m for advanced" but I did not check this.

To be honest I haven't been there myself nor will I but I wont hijack the thread as to my reasons. We all have reasons to chose where we go. Research is the best option to avoid spending your $ in the wrong place (for you).

Back
Top Bottom