different tanks for different purposes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peterw

Reaction score
Not long ago I started a thread to help me choose a big tank to get some extended bottom time down deep. I ended up choosing the PST E8-130. The E8-130 is a great tank for diving off a boat and allows me to stay down under for some really long periods of time. I loved the tank so much I bought a second E8-130.

The other day some friends invited me to do a shore dive. I'm not big on shore diving and rarely do it because of the work involved. I went along on the dive any way because it sounded like fun and I looked at it as a form of work out. We went to a place called Marine Land off Palos Verdes penninsula in southern California. I lugged one of my big 130s down the hill and into the water. The dive was great, awesome visability, tons of marie life, some of the best diving available in southern california. We dove for a while until everyone else was out of air, I still had almost 2000 psi left in my tank. Since I didn't go there solo I left with the group and lugged my tank back up the hill.

Later whlie I was at the dive shop topping off my tank I thought what a waste I should have a little tank for times like this. When I got back home I did a little research and decided what I needed was a PST E7-80. The next day I purchased that cute little E7-80 and went diving. I've used the tank a couple days now and still ended up with more air at the end of the dive than any one else had.

The nice thing about the E7-80 is it is tiny and steel. I didn't have to change my weighting much because the boyancy characteristics are very similar to the E8-130 but the size is much smaller and out of the water the E7-80 is a little more than 16 pounds lighter than the 130. Less out of water weight is nice for scaling the sides of mountains getting to the dive site.

Since I had such a good time on the first dive I have been beach diving everyday since as a new part of my exercise routine.

My conclusion is that the ideal tanks to have are Pressed Steel Tanks with the E8-130 for the boat or when solo diving and the E7-80 for beach diving or when you are diving with buddies who are using little tanks.

As you know, I just got the 130. I could never imagine schlepping that silo over the river and through the woods. What up, Conan? :eek:ut:

And I feel your pain - coming up with lots o' gas in the can. Diving with some folks recently I was coming up fat, too. Kind of no fun. Arnaud has the 119, and he's become quite the sipper of late, and we're getting some mad BT. Its nice having the gas, its no fun hauling this missle out of the water with 2000 left in it.

That's why I kept my PST HP100. Its light, small-ish and puts put me in the red about the same time as guys with AL80s - only it has more favorable buoyancy characteristics. For the shorties or the hikes, its the can of choice.

I just sold my wife's HP 80... that was a Barbie cylinder, but a great bush whacker.

K

I have LP120s, 104s, and HP80s.

The HP80s get the most use. I can stay down a long time on them now. No need lugging those LPs through the brush.

Ugh!

Peter

I've been looking at steel tanks the past few weeks... I'm recently certified and wondering what size I should get. I was thinking of getting a pst hp80 because when I took ow I would breath though a aluminum 63 at the same rate most people went through an aluminum 80(I'm 5'3" 130lbs). I figure the steel 80 will fit my frame better and still hold a goodly ammount of air even if I cant get a decent fill. Any ideas?

First, the 3500 fills can be a problem in some places. If they fill
you hot, and most places do, then they need to go to 3750 or so or you will get short fills when they cool down and you'll be pizzed.

Second, the HP100 is an 80 at 3000 psi. You might want to consider getting the HP100.

For doubles, the HP100s are kinda heavy. If you might want to double them, see if you can find some old steel 72s. About the same weight as an AL80, but lighter IN THE WATER because they're negative, they have a 2250 "+" service pressure (meaning real fill pressure is 2475) which is easy to fill, and they're almost the same gas as an AL80. If you sip gas they're great single tanks.

If you SUCK gas then doubling them still gives you a reasonable package.

I have an HP120, and its for sale. Damn nice tank, but I can get TWO dives off it most of the time. The problem is I get no redundancy from that rig, but its almost as heavy, full, as double steel 72s.

Beware that the HP80 may be too short to trim properly on your body. Much depends on you and what kind of gear you dive.

DarkFrog once bubbled...
I've been looking at steel tanks the past few weeks... I'm recently certified and wondering what size I should get. I was thinking of getting a pst hp80 because when I took ow I would breath though a aluminum 63 at the same rate most people went through an aluminum 80(I'm 5'3" 130lbs). I figure the steel 80 will fit my frame better and still hold a goodly ammount of air even if I cant get a decent fill. Any ideas?

I would go with HP80. It seems you are pretty good with your air and as you dive more that can only get better. If you go with a bigger tank and are diving with buddies using AL80s you will always be coming up with extra air. While having the extra air is not a bad thing you may want to have a smaller tank. If you go with an HP80 and get a good fill at your consumption rate you will still have more air at the end of the dive than your friends. If you get a poor fill you will have the same air as your friends at the end of the dive.

I love my little PST E7-80. The tank is so tiny I don't even notice it's there. Genesis mentioned that it may be difficult to trim but I haven't noticed this at all. I am 5'11", 220lbs, dive with a Zeagle Ranger BC and I love the way the tank feels (like it's not even there). If I were you I would go with the PST E7-80.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom