Differences of Warm & Cold Water Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not necessarily. Is the warm water in a quarry? In the ocean with a screaming current and rough seas? Water temperature is not the biggest factor in what makes a dive easy or hard. Everything else being equal, it's easier to dive in warm water.

Your last sentance is more what I was getting at. It's *much* easier to dive in warm water, everything being equal. I was surprised at the difference. I knew it would be easier, just not that easy.

I'll preface this by saying in a single week I have dived in extremely warm Bahamian waters and then under ice in a New Hampshire lake.

I understand extremes of diving.

The simple part of the answer to the OP is warm water diving is relatively easy. Thermal protection, ie., wetsuits, are usually three of five milimeters(add a 5mm core warmer if I'm diving for an extended period). I normally wear something like six or eight pounds of weight. My backplate is aluminum and a single AL80 seems to last a long time. I generally use the same regs in warm or cold water, either AquaLung Legend Glacia regs or APEKS XTX 100 regs --they are enviornmentally sealed so they are great for extreme cold, but are equally perfect in tropical waters.

Continuing with warm waters, I use a lighter knife because the visibility is better and potential entanglements are easier to see. I don't wear a hood in warm water and if I wear gloves they are for protection from stings, not for warmth.

I do carry a SMB and small finger spool in warm water. Usually I don't carry a light but that varies a bit depending on the dive. Computers are the same for cold or warm dives, either VR3s (if I need redundancy) or the increcibly excellent LiquiVision Computer and usually my trusty Citizen Eco-Drive Watch/Computer. I always wear a wrist mounted compass.

I've tried pretty much every kind of fin around but my favorite is the APS Mantaray --I've used these fins with single tanks, doubles, side-mount in everything from glass smooth water to rolling surf and they are absolutely terrific. They are light, easy on the legs and give truly remarkable power with every type of kick I use.

The more difficult part of the answer is cold water diving.

I dive a DUI CLX450 drysuit in truly cold water, otherwise a BARE 7mm wetsuit with a
5mm hooded core warmer. For the drysuit, I recently switched to a Weezle undergarment, which is great. XS Scuba dry gloves, DUI hood and neoprene socks backed up with wool socks.

In colder water I use more weight, of course, which I distrubute on a weight belt and in other places to ensure good trim. I prefer a stainless steel backplate for cold water, although that seems to attract cold. I usually weight the lower part of the plate for trim.

While I do a lot of open circuit diving, using my KISS Classic rebreather in cold water really helps keep me warm.

I normally add ten feet of depth to my profiles to account for colder water temps. My dives tend to be more conservative. I always carry two lights, even in summer because at 20 or 30 feet, it starts to get dark. I have a reel with me, as well as a lift bag and spool and two cutting devices, one of which is a very robust knife.

But the real difference is psychhological. I love diving in warm water like nearly all divers. It's easy and pretty much every dive just seems great. But because I live in Maine in the northeastern US, a lot of my dives are in cold water; even in warm months by the standards of many divers. In winter, getting into the water even in a drysuit with a very thick undergarment requires nerve and mental focus. You have to be prepared, whether it is back rolling off a boat or wading in from the shore or slipping into a lake from a hole cut through the ice. That is absolutely the greatest difference between warm and cold water diving in my mind.

Jeff

Generally speaking the vis is better in warm water but that's only if by warm water you are using it as a short cut for tropical waters. Even then Walter is correct, it's not the temp that provides for better viz, it's the lack of plankton, rain (run-off) and nutrients in general.

The water in much of the tropics is fairly devoid of nutrients. In more temperate areas the sun's more direct rays in the spring/summer, the nutrients provided by upwelling over the winter, and the arrival of plankton all combine to reduce viability In the winter (between rainy spells) visability can be quite good. Actually, it's usually best in late fall before the rains and after the nutrients have been used up and the suns rays aren't so direct..

Other way around :)

EDIT: Let me re-phrase that. I've never heard about chosing a different pO2 max for warm water. But I have learned that it is prudent to select a lower pO2 max for cold water.

So when we adjust down for strenuous activity the heat generated has nothing to do with it? :coffee:

There are some incorrect generalizations in this thread. For the most part, the olny difference is cold water is cold and warm water is warm. Cold water will require more exposure protection which will require more lead. Cold water will increase air consumption and require a more conservative approach to decompression.

The best visibility in the world is under ice caps while I routinely dive in 86° water where I measure visibility in inches.

I don't think they're incorrect generalizations so much as people relating their personal experiences. From the wording of the original questions, I took that to be the intent of the responses ... and I have not yet dived in Antarctica.

On the other hand, I have dived in a lake out on the Olympic Pensinsula that is usually colder than Puget Sound and usually has better than 100-foot vis. So I see your point.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Your last sentance is more what I was getting at. It's *much* easier to dive in warm water, everything being equal. I was surprised at the difference. I knew it would be easier, just not that easy.

I don't dive cold but I have no doubts that it is more difficult HOWEVER, I will say that I have seen more then 1 cold water diver have a very bad day in the gulf...To be fair, I have seen a few warm water divers get a little freaked out as well...Don't know why some people are comfortable in a cold lake but warm gulf water gets the better of them...

You are correct, cold water divers get used to not being able to see. The reverse can happen, now they can see everything. It has two out comes, sometimes the perception of actual depth is lost and they drift deeper than intended. Other times perception of being out in the vast open ocean has an effect.

I don't dive cold but I have no doubts that it is more difficult HOWEVER, I will say that I have seen more then 1 cold water diver have a very bad day in the gulf...To be fair, I have seen a few warm water divers get a little freaked out as well...Don't know why some people are comfortable in a cold lake but warm gulf water gets the better of them...

Because there's a lot more than cold water and poor vis that can give some people difficulties. We get used to certain conditions ... but have no experience with others.

As an example ... I had a hard time adjusting to surf in Hawaii ... even though the water was warm and clear and I was wearing less gear. Sure, I was able to dive it ... but frankly, I am more comfortable with the conditions I have to deal with in Puget Sound, because I'm used to them. But here, the closest thing to surf we have to deal with is when the ferry passes by ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom