Differences in Atomic Ti 1st stages ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctock993

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What, if any differences exist in the Atomic Aquatics Ti line of 1st stages?
T2x vs T3 vs TFX?

Would there be enough of a performance/ service/ improvement in any way jump to justify replacing a perfectly good T2X 1st stage with a TFX or am I just suffering from upgrade-itis?
The TFX second stage on the other hand is very tempting...

Basically all the same but the TFX is cool although a nice vacation is also cool and for the price of the TFX you can have a great vacation and still have a great regulator.

What, if any differences exist in the Atomic Aquatics Ti line of 1st stages?
T2x vs T3 vs TFX?

Would there be enough of a performance/ service/ improvement in any way jump to justify replacing a perfectly good T2X 1st stage with a TFX or am I just suffering from upgrade-itis?
The TFX second stage on the other hand is very tempting...
If you can afford it go for it - you only live once.

I absolutely love my TFX but I would not recommend stretching a limited budget to buy one. It’s more of a luxury item - it is the best/easiest breathing reg I’ve owned (only other reg I’ve used is my T3, for perspective) - but not really worth it if you’re sacrificing other things to buy it.

There are some differences between the T1, T1X, T2, and also between those and the "modern ones" (T2X/T3/TFX). We can get into those details if you are interested. The major highlights are the introduction of the round edge piston at some point across all Atomic 1st stages, and more Monel alloy parts as well as a differently captured o-ring in the yoke of the T2X (and after) for non-dedicated nitrox use.

But the internals among the "modern ones", T2x, T3 and TFX, are identical as far as I know. The only difference is that the T3 has a differently shaped DIN wheel with full backwards compatibility, and the TFX has a yoke & knob with steeper thread (trivial, and no backward compatibility).

Regarding upgrades: 2nd stage TFX: yes, would love to upgrade to that one!

Regarding 1st stage upgrades: If someone switches between air and nitrox and wants to go by the book, then a T2X may be a good upgrade from a T1 (and a T1 can be upgraded to T2X status).

But T3 and TFX 1st stages aren't really upgrades from the T2X as the internals are identical. I really love that conservatism in Atomic reg evolution. They designed an amazing 1st stage in the 1990s, and there is not much left to improve.

Hope that helps...

There are some differences between the T1, T1X, T2, and also between those and the "modern ones" (T2X/T3/TFX). We can get into those details if you are interested. The major highlights are the introduction of the round edge piston at some point across all Atomic 1st stages, and more Monel alloy parts as well as a differently captured o-ring in the yoke of the T2X (and after) for non-dedicated nitrox use.

But the internals of the "modern ones", T2x, T3 and TFX, are identical as far as I know. The only difference is that the T3 has a differently shaped DIN wheel with full backwards compatibility, and the TFX has a yoke & knob with steeper thread (trivial, and no backwards compatibility).

Regarding upgrades: 2nd stage TFX: yes, would love to upgrade to that one!

Regarding 1st stage upgrades: If someone switches between air and nitrox and wants to go by the book, then a T2X is a good upgrade from a T1 (and a T1 can be upgraded to T2X status).

But T3 and TFX 1st stages aren't really upgrades from the T2X as the internals are identical. I really love that conservatism in Atomic reg evolution. They designed an amazing 1st stage in the 1990s, and there is not much left to improve.

Hope that helps...
@Geo7 -

Thank you!
This is exactly the level of information I was looking for!

Now I know I can just save my pennies for the TFX 2nd stage ONLY.

Back
Top Bottom