Question Differences between the Blacktip Tech and Travel in Range, Run Time, Speed and Thrust

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am considering the DiveX Blacktip series and looking at the Tech model as the primary choice but when I looked at the Travel model specs, they appeared to me as the same as the Tech. model with the 12 Ah Batteries. I was expecting that the Tech. model to have longer range and run time and more thrust. What am I missing here? Why one would buy the Tech. model if the travel model is less expensive, lighter and less bulk?

No first hand experience with them, but I thought it was primarily the trim. Travel will be neutral but will trim nose up when stopped, the tech will be neutral in horizontal trim when stopped. So to get the travel to be horizontal, it has to be negatively buoyant.

No first hand experience with them, but I thought it was primarily the trim. Travel will be neutral but will trim nose up when stopped, the tech will be neutral in horizontal trim when stopped. So to get the travel to be horizontal, it has to be negatively buoyant.

Is the trim important for openwater diving?

I am considering the DiveX Blacktip series and looking at the Tech model as the primary choice but when I looked at the Travel model specs, they appeared to me as the same as the Tech. model with the 12 Ah Batteries. I was expecting that the Tech. model to have longer range and run time and more thrust. What am I missing here? Why one would buy the Tech. model if the travel model is less expensive, lighter and less bulk?
Same motor, same batteries. The Tech version came out when prototypes were being used as a request from several of the test divers. The Travel version was originally meant to be as small/light as possible but since it trims bow up it is unusable as a backup/tow scooter for technical dives or even if it is stowed between the legs during a working portion. The hull was then extended to allow the CG and CoB to be in the same spot so it trims flat.

The Expedition or whatever it is called may have some performance bumps because there are 2x batteries in there but it is still same motor/run parameters.

Same motor, same batteries. The Tech version came out when prototypes were being used as a request from several of the test divers. The Travel version was originally meant to be as small/light as possible but since it trims bow up it is unusable as a backup/tow scooter for technical dives or even if it is stowed between the legs during a working portion.

So, if it isn't going to be used as a backup and trim isn't important in my case doing recreational dives from shore to go further out than what I can do swimming with fins only, I can use the travel version. correct?

(for $200 extra, I'll probably get the tech version anyways).

So, if it isn't going to be used as a backup and trim isn't important in my case doing recreational dives from shore to go further out than what I can do swimming with fins only, I can use the travel version. correct?

(for $200 extra, I'll probably get the tech version anyways).
no real reason that you would need the tech version though for shore entries because it has a smaller vertical profile when it trims flat vs about a 30* up angle it "floats" in shallower water than the travel version that has to be carried until about waist deep water before it will float itself.

Back
Top Bottom