Difference in Shadow Divers and The Last Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i herd the screen playwas done a while ago. but who knows....
so basically no new info......
i hope thy make the movie. and really hope they use the boat

Irregardless of which version they use, the movie will never be as good as the book.

Diesel298:
In The Last Dive..... The coats gaurd was not gonna take Chris Rouse because he was already dea, and acording to the book Chatterton convinced them to take him, and they did.. all acording to the book..
In Shadow Divers. The coast Gaurd wanted to take Chris Rouses body, and did, even with Chatterton telling them not to.....
Reason #2 i thing Shadow Divers is the more acurate story........The USCG has SOP for situations like that... and whatever it is. a civilian is not gonna let them change that... those USCG guys have a job to do and are gonna do it
The Last Dive has Chatterton getting therm to change there mind. i dont think thats a reality... in Shadow Divers the CG stuck with the original decision to take both men...
just my .02

Gotta agree with Diesel on this one!

While I haven't read The Last Dive yet (its sitting at home) I did read Shadow diver's I would think based on my experience that the Coast Guard would take both victim's regardless of wether a "Civilian", Chatterton in this case, says one is dead. It would not make sense for a "Civilian" to talk a rescue swimmer into anything during a rescue operation. Those guys know what they are doing. Just my .02

This was discussed in another thread somewhere, but I don't think it was on this board. If I remember correctly, Chatterton said that the Coast Guard couldn't leave Chris behind, because there was no doctor to declare him officially dead. Therefore, according to their SOP, they had to take both. I could have this wrong. I'm going to look for the thread. I think it was on a UK board.

Edit:http://www.spearboard.com/forum/showthread.php?mode=hybrid&t=14687

BTW - The LA Times says that Last Dive is better written, in that it is more of a first person account written by a diver instead of a journalist. I liked 'em both. What studio is doing the movie?

Edit: Not LA Times: http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20040711/news_lz1v11divers.html

i didnt think that the last dive was as bad as some do..
but by far Shadow Divers was better.... diver or not the man did his homework...
now deep decent.......that was ok at best..... very very bias in my opinion.... and the wrighting was. so so .....
but what do i know.. im not a wrighter

FWIW, i liked "the last dive" better and did not have any issues with bernie's writing style. maybe because it was the first one i read or because it feels more like it's been written by a diver for divers. it was certainly a forerunner for the handful of books that followed.

Diesel298:
speaking of the movie.. anyone have any new rumors/info?

When asked who was going to play him, Richie Kholer replied "Danny DeVito".

(No... I'm not kidding... Kholer actually said that... though I think him joking was implied.

hahaha yeah danny devito really looks like a great diver. From what I heard they are getting a casting director soon and will then start picking people. But so far it looks awsome with the writter and director they have going.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom