Difference in dives COZ ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

staffybull

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Another question for you Cozumel connoisseurs. Is there any difference in morning dives and afternoon dives, as far as one being more exciting than the other?
Me and my GF will be there for a week in July. We both work nights so I don't think I've gotten up before noon in years. We will definitely be doing afternoon dives. Just wondering if there was any difference in the two. THX

Morning dives are generally considered better but I have had some good afternoon dives. In the afternoon the dive sites will be much less crowded which is a plus. You might also try some twilight or night dives.

Greetings. For me the biggest difference would be the ambient temperature and sun strength. In July it will be warm and the midday sun can be really strong.

I prefer to do the morning dives, skip the afternoon diving, find a shady spot and take some time to relax before the night dive.

Just my 2 cents.

Good Dives, SeaFlea

Almost all ops go out in the morning but only some in the afternoon (on a regular basis), so if you are stuck on afternoon dives, that could limit your choices of operators. Personally, I can't say I've seen much difference between morning or afternoon. Although my afternoon dives have almost exclusively been shore dives in shallow water. Since you'll be here in the summer, darkness won't be an issue for the second dive in the afternoon. But it could get tight.... Right now, it's darkish by about 5:30.

During the afternoon dives the sun is high and the rays are on the wall they brighten up the dive. Personally I would always dive starting at 11am if I could. My friend owns a dive shop that will make sure you get afternoon dives if you want to pm me. have a great holiday.

Thx for the input
Pm sent

More exciting when comparing morning dives to afternoon dives....??? Not really, I would say different at times, but not more exciting. Perhaps try them all. AM, afternoon, twilight, night !

If you can recruit 3-4 others, I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding an op to take you for afternoons and there are a number who offer 2-tank afternoon trips as SOP. The main difference -- other than getting wet during the hottest part of the day (ahhhh) -- will be what you may see on your second tank: The diurnal fish & critters venturing out for their last meals of the day and the early-riser nocturnal creatures beginning to stir. That's a great time to be in the water.

FYI, Cozumel is in the eastern part of the Central Time Zone and changes over to daylight savings time, so sunset in July is around 7:30pm.

I stay at Scuba Club in Coz, other then twilight/night dive the boats leave the dock in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom