Difference between Utd and Gue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This sounds good, Lynne. We might see about going to Monterey for the class over a school holiday for Joe. Sounds like if we want to eventually fo Cave we should start out with GUE.
I'm glad to know the doubles weren't insurmountable. I have a bad neck but it doesn't slow me down, much. Having been around horses and farming most of my life my upper body is pretty strong.

I never saw the OP (or anyone else) comment that GUE was the only choice (not sure why you raised that strawman), but that it might be the better choice for those interested in DIR cave training.

I took that as Tracy thinking that GUE was the only choice and hence I posted information about UTD's course. I never once argued the quality of the courses for or against either organization. Your assertion that the UTD instructors not taking the UTD course is an indication of quality has no bearing on the fact that the courses do exist (which is all the information I was trying to give). I can honestly think of a few reasons why they would do so without even getting into course quality.

It is curious, though, which agency both LA-based UTD tech instructors recently chose for their own cave training... They didn't stay "in house".

Personally, I'm not too keen on taking courses from my peers. Their personal choices are theirs and I'm not going to 2nd guess why they chose to complete their cave training the way they did. For all you know, they were sent as spies lol.

I'd generally agree with you, but both recently took non-cave classes with their UTD peers, so that doesn't sound like the reason.

I'm going to go with your spy explanation. :)

Any reasons you chose GUE for C2 over UTD given you did (and I assume liked) your tech training with AG?

Personally, I'm not too keen on taking courses from my peers. Their personal choices are theirs and I'm not going to 2nd guess why they chose to complete their cave training the way they did. For all you know, they were sent as spies lol.

I'd generally agree with you, but both recently took non-cave classes with their UTD peers, so that doesn't sound like the reason.

I'm going to go with your spy explanation. :)

Any reasons you chose GUE for C2 over UTD given you did (and I assume liked) your tech training with AG?

Well taking a class with or from "the boss" is a bit different than taking a class from a far away instructor you've never met before when the guys you did GUE C1 with are just as close.

UTD cave didn't exist when I took GUE Cave2. I knew and liked my probable instructors so for me it was an easy choice to continue with them.

Personally I like GUE MX cave instructors and continue to recommend them. I don't know GUE's FL or UTD's MX cave corps so I hesitate to suggest any of them. Like with anyone there are good and mediocre reviews depending on who you ask, how they did in the course, how much their personalities meshed etc. I honestly haven't looked at written cave curriculm details much and don't really think it matters tremendously anyway.

Any reasons you chose GUE for C2 over UTD

I'm sure you can come up with competent and informed answer to that question on your own, once you actually take any form of cave training from either agency.

I'm sure you can come up with competent and informed answer to that question on your own, once you actually take any form of cave training from either agency.

Doubtful. It's far easier to make assumptions and run off at the mouth.

edit: found a better picture.

lightsaber-3.jpg

Wow. Lightsabers create a pretty cool full-color, fully-focused shadow. I'm telling you, you learn new things every day.

Well, if it helps, after I finish UTD T1 and Overhead Protocols, I may go take a PADI wreck class because I've heard they're recognized world-wide and I can get into a class anywhere in the world anytime I want. :beer:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom