Difference between Utd and Gue?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the quality of the UTD courses in Mexico?
Course, it will be awhile. Hubby doing PhD tends to slow things down and life gets in the way.
Sure would be nice to be young, rich and without life's obligations when you want to further your hobby!
I'd love to dive the Mexican caves, part of why I want that cert!

The hardest part of doubles is handling them on land . . . and I have no shame in asking for help doing that. Lifting big double steels onto gear tables just isn't ever going to be in my skill set! (Shoot, if I'm honest, lifting double Al80's up to gear tables isn't, either.) One of the hardest things about cave and tech diving, for me, has been swallowing my pride and not hurting myself doing stuff to prove I'm as strong as the guys :)

The hardest part of doubles is handling them on land . . . and I have no shame in asking for help doing that. Lifting big double steels onto gear tables just isn't ever going to be in my skill set! (Shoot, if I'm honest, lifting double Al80's up to gear tables isn't, either.) One of the hardest things about cave and tech diving, for me, has been swallowing my pride and not hurting myself doing stuff to prove I'm as strong as the guys :)

After a microdiscectomy on L5 4 years ago, the most difficult aspect of double diving for me is coming-up the boat ladder. :shocked2:

TSandM [falsely] wrote
I have no shame in asking for help doing that {helping with doubles}
I call double BS!!! I've seen you WAY too many times attempt to man-handle gear and not ask, and sometimes refuse, help. Perhaps it is true you "have no shame" but you do have WAY too much pride -- and SHAME on you for that!:wink:

Next trip perhaps you should hire a sherpa -- I think you'd have a lot more fun the rest of the day.

This is getting funny. Peter, I hear the same thing from Joe. I don't ask for help when I should, end up hurting myself trying to do everything.
Let's see, diving, dobermans, cats, horses. Lynne and I in the same profession. Odd, isn't it?

UTD has a full set of cave courses with three instructors in Mexico. Two teach out of Cave Heaven - Quality cave diving instruction and guided cave diving in Mexico’s Yucatan peninsula which is a UTD Facility. A quick look shows two more cave instructors, one in Spain and the other in Italy. So GUE isn't the only choice.

It is curious, though, which agency both LA-based UTD tech instructors recently chose for their own cave training... They didn't stay "in house".

This sounds good, Lynne. We might see about going to Monterey for the class over a school holiday for Joe. Sounds like if we want to eventually fo Cave we should start out with GUE.
I'm glad to know the doubles weren't insurmountable. I have a bad neck but it doesn't slow me down, much. Having been around horses and farming most of my life my upper body is pretty strong.

If you are interested in traveling at all to southern California, there are 2 GUE instructors in Los Angeles and 1 GUE instructor in San Diego. Bob Sherwood from GUE also travels out here to teach classes as well. Best of luck on your dive journey!

It is curious, though, which agency both LA-based UTD tech instructors recently chose for their own cave training... They didn't stay "in house".

What does that have to do with choices though? I have no idea why they went with whomever they went with, nor do I really care. It is just disingenuous to say that GUE is the only choice and ignore all others. I would rather people look at all choices and decide which one is best for them.

I never saw the OP (or anyone else) comment that GUE was the only choice (not sure why you raised that strawman), but that it might be the better choice for those interested in DIR cave training.

What does that have to do with choices though? I have no idea why they went with whomever they went with, nor do I really care. It is just disingenuous to say that GUE is the only choice and ignore all others. I would rather people look at all choices and decide which one is best for them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom