Dieting and what works for a FOB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
About six months ago I came to no longer accept my fatness. I'm 6'1" and weighed in at about 250. My waist was a heavy 40" and probably should have been more like a 42". The weight was fat and not muscle. At a minimum I had 25 - 30% body fat. My cholesterol level was 171.

I decided that I needed to make a conscious effort to do something about it as I was not happy with how I looked, felt or how little stamina that I had. It had taken me a couple of years to get to the weight and frankly I had gotten used to it. For the most part I still saw a thin man in the mirror. Denial was a big part of it.

At any rate the first thing that I did was spend five days fasting. During that time took some vitamins, but mainly drank water. I wanted to clean out and shrink my stomach. It was a bit hard for the first two days, but afterwards it got easier and easier. I stayed very well hydrated during this period as I wanted to make sure my organs were well lubed.

Prior to the fast, I had devised a plan for the first month. I would essentially become a vegitarian. I wanted to concentrate my diet on fresh veggies and fruit. Protein came in the form of tofu and protein powder. I completely cut out starch and processed sugar. I allowed myself to drink as much organic juice as I wanted, but the general drink of choice was water. I would use this to fill my stomach to give me the nice content feeling that only lots of carbs can do.

What I found was that I lost weight - between 2 - 3 lbs per week. My energy increased and I had less aches and pains. After the first month, I started to add one portion of meat to my diet per day. I still cut out carbs and sugar and kept my diet about 80% veggies and fruit.

Excercise was not in the plan. I wanted to get down to a low weight to know where my body should be in it's present muscular form. I figured it to be around 190 -195 lbs for my build. I also hate to excercise for the reason of excercising. Having been an athlete for a good portion of my life, I also didn't want the frustration of being physically inept.

About 2 months ago I dropped to 205 lbs or down nearly 50 lbs in five months. At that time I started skiing a couple times per week, for fun and as a bit of excercise. It has built some muscle in my legs and raised my endurance a lot.

Recently I found myself in Colorado. The hotel that I was staying in had a gym and I decided that since I hadn't gotten any excercise at all in a few days, that I would try out thread mill. I ran 3 miles at a 7.5 minute mile pace and I was at 8500' above sea level. I wasn't winded though I had built up a sweat. In otherwords a good cardio workout. While in Colorado, I was careful about my diet until dinner. Then I splurged. Since I was skiing every day, I still managed to lose a few pounds.

As of today I'm down almost 60 lbs. I am exercising three times a week - light running and lower back and abs workout. To be at my optimum weight I should drop another 8 lbs or so, but this will have to be tempered by the muscle weight I'm adding.

Bottom line what worked for me:
1. A diet mainly of fruits and veggies with a small amount of protein.

2. Cutting out most starches. I now allow one portion of starch per day.

3. Cutting out processed sugar. Now, I'll allow myself something sweet every now and again.

4. Cutting back on all fat. I use only olive oil to cook with and don't eat deep fried anything.

5. My large meal is lunch. Fruit, coffee and occasionally a muffin for breakfast. Dinner is much smaller than it used to be.

6. Making my portions much smaller - about 1/4 the size when I was a FOB - Fat old B*st@%&.

7. Excercise is a welcome stress reliever now.

Here is a shot of me 60 lbs ago.

Congrats on the plan and the success J. I may have to give you a call for some support!
I had made a resolution to start working out 3x a week again, but I have not done anything as far as what I eat. I may follow your plan or something similar though. Tonight I had most of a 2lb Tri-Tip, potatos and some summer squash with mushrooms and onions sauteed in butter and garlic chased down with a bottle of chianti:11:
God, I feel like a freeking PIG!!!

I am a couple of inches shorter than you, as you know, but am pushing 200, when my ideal weight should be around 180 if it were mostly muscle. As it is, I am probably at 23-27% body fat. I feel horrible and have tons of little random aches and pains.

Tomorrow I will start my workouts again and follow it up with conscieously watching when, what and how much I eat throughout the day. Maybe I'll stop feeling so old sooner than later!

Thanks for the uplifting post for us FOB's!!!

Robert good for you.

I actually found that once I started and counted my small successes it became easier. I honestly didn't set out to lose 60 lbs. I just wanted to get thinner and I gave myself credit for every pound.

What I've also found now is that I can reintroduce some of the foods that I took away. Portion size is a big factor. Don't eat until you are bloated. Instead eat until your stomach feels full. The brain will tell you to continue to eat, but listen to your body instead.

Also a major factor for my success was to examine the reason why I gained the weight in the first place.

In my case I was trying to fill an emotional void with food. When I took care of that, it was really easy to lose the weight.

The downside is with diving. Now I have to wear extra thermal gear and had to increase the my weightbelt by 8 lbs!

OU812.jpg

:D

Yup. I don't eat like that anymore! Guess I'll have to get a shot all trimmed down to post.

At least you both had nice tall glasses of milk to go with your cholesterol in a tortilla!:D

Did you eat anything during the five days? How did you keep up your energy? I'd be a complete :censored: if I went on a fast. I need to kick the sugar/carb and caffeine habit but don't think I have the willpower. :D I only want to lose about 7lbs and mainly get in shape.

If you cut out sugar and cut down on carbs, you'll lose that 7 lbs really quickly. Caffeine is o.k as long as you aren't putting 4 packs of sugar and half a cup of cream in with it. Now Coca Cola or Pepsi - well see the sugar thing :D

As far as the fast was concerned - it was a true fast. You can do something abreviated like doing a fruit and veggie cleansing. Again no sugar, no fat and no carbs.

OE2X:
If you cut out sugar and cut down on carbs, you'll lose that 7 lbs really quickly. Caffeine is o.k as long as you aren't putting 4 packs of sugar and half a cup of cream in with it. Now Coca Cola or Pepsi - well see the sugar thing :D

As far as the fast was concerned - it was a true fast. You can do something abreviated like doing a fruit and veggie cleansing. Again no sugar, no fat and no carbs.

I think I'm going to give the cutting out sugar and carbs a shot starting.....tomorrow. :D I'm going to decrease the caffeine too. It will be hard because I function on coffee (one sugar) and diet coke and whatever I can eat on the run which usually isn't the healthiest choices.

Don't forget that you need to post an "after" photo!

For the on run, I bring fruit and veggies with me in a Ziplock. It works out really well. I've never used sugar in my coffee, so that's no big deal. Once you get used to it you don't feel as if you sacrificing anything. I also allow myself a treat every now and then. Normally it's after a workout or excercise.

I'll be diving with UP next week in BC, so I'll see if he can do a photo... :D

Back
Top Bottom