Dieting and what works for a FOB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I am 6'01" and was 334 lbs and went on the Atkins diet. I lost 65 pounds in 7 months. I then over the past year have put back on the weight to 290 lbs. I have been on the fast now 4 days and it really sucks but I am good at sticking with things. I am now down to 279 lbs. I am going to change your diet a little by starting out with Protien like the Atkins diet. I am just not going to eat as much protien as I used too. My goal weight is going to be 200 lbs like when I was in the Army young and fit, oh wait they said I was over weight too:D , at that weight. I am going to take in small amounts of carbs but trying to stay away from them. The carbs will be in the vegetables I eat. I am also doing the treadmill, oh my, it is hard when you have nothing to burn except what is stored. I am doing two miles every other day, I sucks to have a job that you sit a lot. I will keep you up to date with my progress or lack of, I want to be down by the time I go to Florida in June. At least another 30 or 40 pounds. Thanks for the inspiration and pics.

I had a simular weight problem a few years ago.....started a diet, working out , and added several swims and dives in cold water, not long enough for hypothermia, but enough to burn additional calories.....loosing the weight was not the problem....keeping it off was...and still is...sounds like you`ve got the desire......just look out for those temptations....see ya` under

I lost 70#s a few years ago. I got out hurt and medically retired from the military, but my appetite was the same one I had while I was in the Army, so I got huge. I started getting back into shape the only way I knew. Running-albeit slowly at first-until exhaustion; about 4-8 miles a day. Then increasing to 12-15 miles 3 times a week. Then I added a bowflex twice a week.

Now that I have somewhat stabilized, I run an average of 15 miles a week (with the occasional 18 mile super run!) and I try to dive at least twice a week. I try to plan the dive to be around 1500-2000 meters of total swim distance.

Congrats on the weight loss, Jock! Maybe someday I will get the opportunity to dive with you again.

Marc

Instead, what's being used as a more accurate way to prescribe exercise is what's referred to "Lactate Treshhold" and "Rate of Perceived Exertion" (RPE)[/QUOTE]

Percieved? I work each muscle group in 2 sets to fatigue. My results are good, but am I hitting a "percieved" threshold? and need to work over the top of it? Or is the fatigue I feel an actual muscle threshold? My work outs are about 45 min in length. Please explain.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom