Did someone say SHARK... at alahambra?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GulfCostdiver:
Someone tonight told me it was a stingray palette

Thats the place. Venice beach.

OK gotcha. I have heard and read about diving for teeth in Venice. How big do you guys find them there? These are close to shore, right? One of my Carolina buddies said "ours" were larger (up to 6" or so), but I like to try about anything and I'd like to come down and try it there. I was in FL for 11 days in January: Jupiter, Keys, Crystal River, Ginnie... Wanted to do a trip with a charter as I have no idea where to begin the search. Was trying for FL West Scuba School, but their only scheduled trips in Jan did not coincide with my already scheduled diving. Are they good to go with? Or is it a waste of money to get on the boat for this?

Last week I found a 5" tooth off Venice beach (tried posting a pic, but no go). I've also found several 3" and lots that are around 2". I hear a lot about 6" teeth being found off Alhambra, but have never seen one, and suspect that's the underwater size :)

It was on a boat, but I generally have better luck off the shore (I like the small teeth too). Florida West is a good operation.

I know there's sharks off Venice beach (If you've been to any beach in Florida, you've swam with sharks), but never seen one. I avoid the pier area because of all of the fishing there, especially at night, when I know they catch a number of bull, sandshark and lemon sharks.

OCDinNC:
OK gotcha. I have heard and read about diving for teeth in Venice. How big do you guys find them there? These are close to shore, right? One of my Carolina buddies said "ours" were larger (up to 6" or so), but I like to try about anything and I'd like to come down and try it there. I was in FL for 11 days in January: Jupiter, Keys, Crystal River, Ginnie... Wanted to do a trip with a charter as I have no idea where to begin the search. Was trying for FL West Scuba School, but their only scheduled trips in Jan did not coincide with my already scheduled diving. Are they good to go with? Or is it a waste of money to get on the boat for this?

Post when you can make it to Venice and I am sure someone can join you for a beach dive (I might but I would have to break-out the 7mm and hood in Jan). I dove with FL West several times and can recommend them. I have recently been trying beach dives off of Venice and have been enjoying those more with about equal luck compared to the boat dives.

In Carolina can you beach dive for teeth or do you have to take a charter?

UB:
Post when you can make it to Venice and I am sure someone can join you for a beach dive (I might but I would have to break-out the 7mm and hood in Jan). I dove with FL West several times and can recommend them. I have recently been trying beach dives off of Venice and have been enjoying those more with about equal luck compared to the boat dives.

In Carolina can you beach dive for teeth or do you have to take a charter?

Hey, I'd love to come down and try that with some of you guys. Probably be later on in the fall, or even winter, when I have more time to spare away from my business so that I can stay in the Sunshine State long enough to make it worthwhile. But I'll definitely keep that in mind for later on when the landscaping business slows down a bit.

I've only done the shark teeth run once so far, and it was done by Charter (Spearit), running out of Topsail Beach, north of Wilmington. (They used to run out of Carolina Beach). We went way south, and quite a few miles out. (95-105 FSW) The last day we were several miles off Frying Pan Shoals, though I don't know how many miles offshore that actually is. Going back in a few weeks to try again. I really don't know if they can be had on a shore dive. Obviously THESE teeth can't (duh), but are there teeth close in? Don't know.

I've done the Cooper River in Charleston (SC) a number of times. That's pretty fun, as you find other fossils (manatee ribs, etc) as well as teeth, and you can find old bottles and other stuff in there. Vis is about 1-2' with a really good light. Several operators run it every weekend; the trips are really popular. You could take your own boat; I don't really know how widespread the beds are, if you could just droip in anwhere and find them, or if you have to hit one of the actual beds.

Let me know when you come...I've got a drysuit. Water temps in Jan are in the upper 50s

OCDinNC:
Hey, I'd love to come down and try that with some of you guys. Probably be later on in the fall, or even winter

I've found a number of largish teeth right off the beach here
OCDinNC:
Obviously THESE teeth can't (duh), but are there teeth close in? Don't know.

You can find a lot of other stuff here, horse's teeth, mastadon teeth, whale earbones and vertibrae, and lots of ribs. And, you'll feel right at home with the vis :)
OCDinNC:
as you find other fossils (manatee ribs, etc) as well as teeth, and you can find old bottles and other stuff in there. Vis is about 1-2' with a really good light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom