Did I get ripped off?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kvitense

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am new to diving. I took a one day resort course last year and got hooked. I recently signed up at a local dive shop to get my PADI open water certification and I just wanted to know if the equipment they sold me was quality stuff as well as whether or not it was a fair value.

The course, EVERYTHING included minus a mask, snorkel, fins, and booties, cost $325. The mask, a Deep See Omni, was $70. The snorkel, an Aqua Lung Impulse 2 Flex, was $50. The fins, Tusa Platinas, were $75 on clearance, and the booties, Deep See 6.5mm thickness Titanium lined "high tops" (or whatever they're called), were $70.

In addition, they deducted $80 from the cost of the course since I purchased my equipment from them. I'd appreciate any feedback on the "deal" I got. Thanks everyone.

Hi kvitense,

Those prices sound about normal retail.... and you got a deal on the discount of the open water course. BUT the snorkel... it's just a tube to breathe through! A lot of divers don't even carry them (although that's a matter of preference and as conditions dictate), but they're required for PADI open water certification. $50 seems excessive. No doubt that's the retail price of the particular snorkel, so I'm not saying you were ripped off, but if you must buy a snorkel, find the cheapest one available. Gimmicks aside, it's just a tube sticking out of your mouth to breath through!

good luck with the course,

Ben

Thanks Ben. I probably should have added that with my job, I get to the "islands" often where I am not able to dive but am able to snorkel, which I think is the next best thing if you can't dive. I have snorkeled in the past with a cheap snorkel and have experienced some inconveniences that supposedly, the impulse 2 will prevent. I guess we'll see......

I would say that you got a reasonable deal. With some shopping around, you probably could have found some of that gear for a little less, but with the $80 discount on the course, it works out to be a pretty decent price for the gear you got.

As for the snorkel, I got a $25 snorkel because we don't use them too much in the Pacific Northwest where I live (visibility is generally too low.) However, on the occasions that I do use the snorkel, I wish I had a nicer one, so since you do go snorkeling anyway, and a snorkel is a requirement for the OW course, it will probably turn out to be worth it to have gotten the nicer one.

Good luck, and have fun!

otter-cat:)

The equipment prices sound average, and the discount on the class is a good deal. About the snorkel, I have an Impulse 2. I've stopped taking it diving, but for snorkeling it is the best I have ever used. So, if you are going to do alot of snorkeling too, that is definitely a good choice!

Expensive high tech snorkels are very useful if you never learned how to use a snorkel. If you want to spend extra time instead of extra money buy the $5 snorkel instead and take a class that actually teaches some skills. You'll have something move valuable than an expensive snorkel. You'll have a skill.

The first time I evaluated the Impulse my thought was "This thing oughta be outlawed... it's too easy... no skill required."
It is without doubt the easiset clearing snorkel I've ever used.
On the down side, it is big, and creates a lot of drag - so for me it's another interesting hi-tech toy that I use when I'm feeling particularly lazy and just want to float on the surface and watch the underwater world go by. For diving, and especially for freediving, I use a simple tube.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom