Trip Report Falmouth Jamaica cruise dive planning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jcp2

15’ vis is a good day in the pond
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
There are no scuba excursions offered through cruise lines that dock at Falmouth, so it's more of a DIY process. Granted, the diving may not be as great as other Caribbean islands because of the reefs being fished out, but it still is diving. These are the options that I discovered for my cruise. The hardest parts about doing this was that transport around Jamaica is relatively expensive and time consuming, and it's not always easy to get in touch with the dive ops to see what can be worked out with them. I booked what I thought was the best option for a mixed party, but had to cancel because of one of my party wasn't up to it. All costs listed for the diving below includes a full set of rental gear (regulator, BC, mask, snorkel, fins).

1. Dressel Divers - operates out of Iberostar Rose Hall in Montego Bay. Booking is done through their website based in Europe www.dresseldivers.com. Can only offer a single tank dive at 10:30 am for cruise ship passengers out of Falmouth. The cost was $80 USD prepaid through the website for the dive and $60 USD for transport for 1-4 divers from Falmouth to Iberostar and back for a total of $140 USD. Communication through email was efficient, but delayed because of the time difference between Europe and the US.

2. Scuba Jamaica/Jamaica Scuba Divers - operates out of Runaway Bay out of Franklyn D Resort and Spa. Best to communicate through Whatsapp (876) 381-1113 with Mar. The cost for 2 dives was $140 USD and they could arrange for a round trip taxi for $40 USD for at least 2 divers. They were flexible with timing to accommodate my cruise ship layover.

3. Resort Divers - operates out of Sharkies Restaurant in Runaway Bay. Best to communicate through Whatsapp (876) 881-5760 with Mr. Heron. The cost for 2 dives was $140 USD and the price for the taxi would be arranged at the time of booking. I would imagine it to be between $40-60 USD. They were also flexible with timing to accommodate my cruise ship layover.

4. Excursion to Discovery Bay/Puerto Seco Beach - This was an excursion offered through our cruise ship, and can be booked from Falmouth through a third party such as Viator. It's a paid private beach area with a restaurant, bar, pool, beach chairs, and a floating trampoline obstacle course. Food and drinks were included in the excursion price. Somewhere in the underdeveloped website for Puerto Seco Beach (www.puertosecojamaica.com) is an incomplete section about scuba diving. I called their number, and they referred me to the same Mr. Heron that ran Resort Divers at (876) 881-5760. Mr. Heron was very flexible, so I planned to book this excursion to Puerto Seco Beach through the cruise ship for my party at $80 USD a person, and then have Resort Divers have equipment and a divemaster ready for me for a two tank dive for an additional $140 USD. This way the nondivers get a beach excursion and I get a beach excursion and also an add on dive trip, and the transport is "free".

Unfortunately, I did not go, as one of my party wasn't up to it and cancelled the excursion and dive trip. Instead, I stayed in the port area, ate a Jamaican beef patty, drank a Red Stripe, had some jerk chicken, got mildly ripped off buying souvenir wood carvings and a counterfeit stoned Jamaican Pikachu, and acquired a Jamaica 62 football (soccer) jersey. Then I returned to the ship for lunch.

Back
Top Bottom