Did EVERYTHING wrong

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It doesn't read like it went to bad.

I wouldn't discourage you from using a DM but the important thing is to do what you can to get information about the site prior to diving. Books are a start but there's nothing like getting current local information. Based on what you find out, you can decide whether or not you want a DM or whether or not you even want to dive the site.

Wow, that brings back memories. I dove for several years off my charter yacht in the BVI's in the 70's. Our very first dive was on the Rhone, and had the same experience. We swam from the boat to the dive, and had one hell of a time swimming back. One lesson learned long ago! A little bit wiser now.
Jeff in San Antonio

First, I am a newbie to diving. Just got certs in September. Went on a 10 day sailing/diving vacation to the BVI in December. Had never been on a dive except the pool/lake dives during certs. Since we had our own boat, my hubby and I decided we wanted to rent gear and dive whenever we wanted to without a dive master.
:shakehead That was enough to scare me. I like to see a diver with a DM and captain both for a few dozen ocean dives, at least. With a captain always, always.

Oh yeah, shorites are for jet skiers and expert divers. Long suits are much better for newbies, and I still won't dive a shorty.

dnalevol:
As I think about what I am about to write, I have to admit I am very embarrased. I did some very stupid things.

First, I am a newbie to diving. Just got certs in September. Went on a 10 day sailing/diving vacation to the BVI in December. Had never been on a dive except the pool/lake dives during certs. Since we had our own boat, my hubby and I decided we wanted to rent gear and dive whenever we wanted to without a dive master. Here is a summary of some of our dives, and the lessons I learned.

Just remember that certification enables you to dive - "within your training and experience". I am not sure that doing your dive training in "pools/lakes" really provides sufficient training and experience to head into the sea on your own (or with a similarly experience diver). As you found out, shore diving, boat diving and sea diving all have their own particular quirks that can cause problems.

Another advantage to diving with an experienced DM is that they are familiar with the site - and where the good stuff is. Just diving on your own, you may miss something awesome that a local guide could have taken directly to.

I really would urge you to get further training/experience in the ocean before diving as a buddy pair with only your husband
-j-

DandyDon:
Oh yeah, shorites are for jet skiers and expert divers. Long suits are much better for newbies, and I still won't dive a shorty.

Please explain why you think shorties are for expert divers while full suits are "better for newbies".

This is why I still like to dive with dive company in unfamiliar areas. At least for a few dives any way. I just prefer to be diving the right sites at the right time. Nothing like local knowledge to keep a person safe. There is stuff you just can't learn from a book.

My guess on the shorty thing would be the white legs. No tan...

Diving in current is always a challenge. Now you have learned and experienced it, you will respect it more. Its good to know you are not discouraged by it and as your experience level improves, so will your enjoyment of this sport.

Dave

rakkis:
Please explain why you think shorties are for expert divers while full suits are "better for newbies".

Isn't it due to the bobbing factor? Bobbing up and down and scraping your knees and fins on the corals.

And the second is the stupidity factor, entering and exiting where the rocks are the nastiest.

Fullsuits are for protection against scrapes, burns, and the element - am I correct??

rakkis:
Sure. It's just my personal opinion, in agreement with the Original Poster...

Newbies are more likely than the more experienced divers to bump into things, i.e. reefs & rocks, lines, ladders, etc. and will benefit from the extra protection with fewer scraps and cuts. The more experienced divers are less likely to incur an injury.

I don't really agree with the more experienced diver wearing shorties, but - that's up to them.

DandyDon:
Sure. It's just my personal opinion, in agreement with the Original Poster...

Newbies are more likely than the more experienced divers to bump into things, i.e. reefs & rocks, lines, ladders, etc. and will benefit from the extra protection with fewer scraps and cuts. The more experienced divers are less likely to incur an injury.

I don't really agree with the more experienced diver wearing shorties, but - that's up to them.

I dunno, Don, maybe they needed one of those pony tanks. :rofl3:

To the original post: Sounds like some good lessons learned. It is really cool that you managed to reduce them to words and post them for all to read and think about.

There are so many subtopics that one could go into from all that you brought up, but you did mention "water movement" several times: current, surge, wave action and more.

That is the first and greatest lesson to learn, most divers can not see this forest for the trees. You have made a monumental step in understanding what "advanced diving" is all about- as you noted... depth really has very little to do with it!

We learn to dive in pools and lakes as was posted earlier, trying to find similar diving is hard! Here you took numerous small leaps that, when added up, almost caused a bad situation.

Unmanned small boat, small dinghy, no support, current, wave action, shore exit, and on and on. Any one of these criteria alone is enough to stress. You don't mention if this resulted in a ships mutiny over the stress, but I have seen simuilar. After bad dives, quite often partners get into real spitting contests. Better to be glad you survived and then dissect the dive, decide what went wrong and how to remedy in the future.

Some of your conclusions are dead wrong. Do not assume that the way to deal with a current is to "just go with it". Currents vary and can be played much as a sailplane pilot or Eagle seems to hover behind and over mountain pinnacles.

Do not assume that simply floating off and waiting on the surface will bring the cavalry. I know of on three day wait for such results.

Your book certainly showed the depths of the Rhone. Yet- you were "surpirsed" by your depth. Hmmm. Do not assume that simply because your computer says you are okay, that this is the monitor system for your dive~ you yourself learned the fallacy of that problem. Ascending in a current from 85 feet is twitchy business. How'd you handle that 15' three minute safety stop. Really?

I think, because of that skill of understanding and critiquing alone, you will have no problems. Glad you lived through it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom