Did EVERYTHING wrong

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RoatanMan:
I dunno, Don, maybe they needed one of those pony tanks.
A legend in his own mind... :14:

That was one of Doc's private jokes - that he thinks is funny.

Everything else he posted is good & sound counsel from a salty diver who's been at it since probly before you two were born.

DandyDon:
Sure. It's just my personal opinion, in agreement with the Original Poster...

Newbies are more likely than the more experienced divers to bump into things, i.e. reefs & rocks, lines, ladders, etc. and will benefit from the extra protection with fewer scraps and cuts. The more experienced divers are less likely to incur an injury.

I don't really agree with the more experienced diver wearing shorties, but - that's up to them.

I agree that because of their lack of control, a full wetsuit would protect the average new diver against cuts and scrapes. However, I personally do not believe a shorty has much to offer exclusively to experienced divers. I could see how come people would prefer to use one because they may prefer the way they fit/feel. And if this is your reason for wearing one.. hey go nuts.

My personal preference is to dive with a full suit/skin exclusively. I'm not worried about cuts and scrapes. I've heard enough first account stories about transluscent jellyfish (whole or in chopped up form) floating in the water that have persuaded me to be fully covered. Additionally, full suits offer better sun protection during SI's or in clear tropical water. These are the reasons I give my students when talking about exposure suits. Also, shorties look dorky :clement2:

But hey... to each his own.

And if this is your reason for wearing one.. hey go nuts.
Not me. I've always worn at least a long skin, and almost all my suits are long. Got a couple of shorties I bought by mistake when I was really new, hardly peed in, make a good deal. :D

I've know a lot of Inst who wear shorties. I don't agree with their examples to newbies, but that's an old arguement - and I got shouted down here on SB over it.

I just wanted to share my opinions regarding comments about "strong" currents in the BVI.

I have been on all of these sites, more than once, most recently in October. I would characterize the currents in the BVI as generally very mild. My dives on the Rhone were uneventful, 55 minutes and able to take in the whole wreck in one tank. We tied off to a mooring ball near the bow, swam the length of the wreck and returned to the boat. NO current that I could detect. We did Cistern Point and had no current, but we stayed on the north side of the rock. Seas breaking on the south side and thus I'm sure there would have been considerable surge on that side. Other sites has similarly mild to no current.

Current is a relative thing. Diving off Key Largo, in the Gulf Stream has acquainted me with strong, constant current.

I love to dive the BVI because of the relatively mild currents that let me work less and stay down longer! YMMV

I second the suggestion about a local DM. I recommend Tony at UBS Diving in Tortola. Private boat. My wife and I dove with Tony, there were just the three of us! It was a terrific experience!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom