Diary of an IE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwoBitTxn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I HATE THE WHEEL:light:

Day 1

We got started at 7:30am with a briefing that explained what all were were going to do, siging paperwork, and giving out credit card numbers.

First up, the 5 exams. 75% or better to pass. 12 questions each exam. You can miss 3. Physics, Recreational Dive Planner, Skills and Environment, Physiology, Equipment.

Have I mentioned that I hate the wheel yet?

I nuked the RDP. 4 wheel questions and I missed two. I missed a couple others, so I blew it. At least I wasn't the only one to fail it, and I at least get a shot at retaking it.

Next General Standards. This one is open book, but I only looked up 4 and ended up doing very well. You don't get a second shot at this one.

All of the exams are timed.

My examiner was/is Gary Cruea

Everything else is on a 5 point scale. A 3.5 is considered passing. With some long drawn out exceptions which I won't go into here.

On to classroom... my assignment... DM knowledge review... Computers and M-values. :11: No one jumped to their feet to volunteer to go first so I did. Worked for me.
4.7 I wasn't worried (you believe that?) I actually did prep my make-up presentation.

Off to the pool.

We got split up into two groups of 5 to do our skill circuits of 5 skills. 3 5's and 2 4's
Confined water, 4.8 I didn't prep my back-up skill.

Day two is tomorrow at CSSP with two more presentations and exam make-ups and the rescue.

23 Candidates 6 women. I put that in there because I hear of a number of IE's that don't have any or just one woman.

I have been studying tonight. Including wheel practice.

I still hate the wheel.

TwoBit

Congrats on your first day!

Did you watch the Captain Ernie DVD by PADI on how to work the wheel? Dopey but works!:D

Ann Marie:
Congrats on your first day!

Did you watch the Captain Ernie DVD by PADI on how to work the wheel? Dopey but works!:D

No. It wasn't a matter of how to work it, it's ok does this arrow actually peirce the line, well, kinda, yes... Different wheels give different answers.

Day two...

Retake the exam.... naaa no stress... not the nice quiet conference room. We are outside, with everyone gearing up, music in the back ground etc...

I pass.

I still hate the :censored: wheel.

Rescue scenario. I did fine. Two other candidates learn there is an up and a down on the pocket mask. Do not put the pocket mask on upside down. You will not pass.

OW demo... Debrief....

I am now PADI OWSI 184551

Of the whole group, only one didn't successfully complete it.

TwoBit

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats. Tom!

That's great...tought stuff, huh?

Glad you made it through...lookin' forward to seeing you at the pond later on.

Congratulations, dude!

I'm sure you're going to be a great instructor.

Just out of curiosity why the emphases on the wheel? Are you actually expected to teach using the wheel or is it a requirement because it teaches candidates something? I'm sure there's a point, I just don't know what it is. I've only seen a wheel twice - both times miles away from open water.

Again CONGRATS !!!

Texass:
I'm sure you're going to be a great instructor.

Just out of curiosity why the emphases on the wheel? Are you actually expected to teach using the wheel or is it a requirement because it teaches candidates something? I'm sure there's a point, I just don't know what it is. I've only seen a wheel twice - both times miles away from open water.

Again CONGRATS !!!

Thanks.

PADI won't drop it. So new instructors are required to learn it. The wheel is an optional specialty class. It's highly unlikely I will ever work with one again.

Thank you everyone else for your support.

TwoBit

Congratulations, Tom! You've been working for this for a long time now, and I know you're proud of yourself, or at least you should be!

(BTW, I love the wheel...) :wink:

Back
Top Bottom