Diary of an IE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats!!!!

As for the wheel.......I know we have to teach it, but I also have some friends (caribbean) that have had to lead groups 4-5 times a day using a wheel because of computer failure and they had to wait until the computer could be fixed. Use of the wheel has allowed them to continue to work by being able to calculate multi-level dives. That still does not keep it from being a P.I.T.A.

Regards,

TwoBitTxn - which one were you - I was there as well (and SOOO glad it is over). I was the one Arch hugged at the end :).
Michelle

jmichelle:
TwoBitTxn - which one were you - I was there as well (and SOOO glad it is over). I was the one Arch hugged at the end :).
Michelle

"Dude", Congatulations!!

Who was your CD?

Regards,

I seem to remember more than 12 questions per test and when I did it there were no retakes on written exams. You got credit for what you passed but you had to pay for another IE to be retested on stuff you didn't.

The written stuff was a cake walk for me but public speaking was definately an uphill battle. I don't remember my CD having anything good to say about any of my in class presentations and he didn't even show up for my IE. So much for that posative reinforcement stuff huh? You have to wonder why a shy person who can't speak in public would want to be an instructor but I was on auto pilot or something. Somehow I got through it. I have conveniently forgotten my scores but after teaching for a few years I can speak for hours in front of any group on any subject on which I have something to say. If it's a subject I enjoy, you may need to forcefully remove me from the podium. LOL go figure.

Looking back, at least part of my problem was a lack of diving experience. I just didn't have anything to say beyond what was in the book. I had a terrible time tieing one module or part of a module in with another. Now? Where the book prints a sentance I could write a book (not that I would present that much in class) and I could tie each section into each other section 100 different ways and give examples from real dives of my own as well as others.

I doubt that I'll ever go back to teaching diving (but no promises) but the whole thing was an experience that I think was worthwhile overall.

Congrats and I wish you and your future students good teaching/learning and good diving.

:jump013: :jump: :chicken:

You've been through some delays in the past year(s), so I'm sure you appreciate it all that much more. I bet Michelle is proud. :D

I'm actually already looking forward to getting off this island and heading home for some good black water diving with some our ol' buddies from the Swamp! Maybe by fall of '07!!!

tony

TwoBitTxn:
Of the whole group, only one didn't successfully complete it.

TwoBit

As I recall there were around 20 candidates at my IE. One girl failed because she couldn't hover (she said it was because she had new wet suit boots and they flipped her upside down), a couple bombed in the written and I think one bombed in the oral. There were a couple of others that I though should have got axed because they just made stuff up and some of it I though was even potentially dangerous but it wasn't up to me. I don't think any of us could really dive very well and there were all sorts of problems in the water in addition to the assigned problems which made it fun. We lived and I hope all our student have too.

So, out of 20, I think about 16 made it. I've only run into one instructor from the IE since. He was an out of town guy that somehow ended up with a class at a dive park that's only about 20 minutes from me. I can't help but wonder how the rest did.

Regardless of how some of us (like me) feel about some of the agencies, entering into this process, subjecting yourself to the testing and actually stepping into the classroom and taking students for their first dive is an experience.

On the board I usually tell the lousy stories because they support the point I'm trying to make but I have other stories of divers who did well and the look on their faces when they saw things that amazed them.

It's funny. Teching in modwest fresh water there were those who had the "there's nothing to see here and I'll have fun when I get to the tropics" attitude. You won't ever impress them but there are others. Like the divorced dad who paid for a whole bunch of classes ahead of time so he and the boy would have something neat to do on their days together. Once we did a night dive in a local quarry. We lucked out and the vis was good and just as we were descending in about 15 feet of water (all together in a star formation) there was a monster bluegil on a nest right below us. As we descended a REAL monster flathead cat swam up, turned sideways and swallowed that monster gil! Later when we ascended I thought that boy was going to drown himself because he wanted to talk whether his face was in the water or out and he didn't care about breathing..."Did you guys see that...did you see...that catfish ate the othe one in one gulp!" Yep we saw..."But did you see the way he..." and on and on and on. I didn't think he'd ever shut up about it. LOL

Then of course there were the ones who I could put in front of a world class trophy bass, northern pike or un-naturally huge crappie and they'd say..."well they don't have much color do they?" Or...after one of what, I thought, was one of my best teaching efforts, they'd say "Do I really have to know that? Isn't that what the divemaster is for?"

As for the wheel..
Well Tom, the places where I usually dive I never see one...
I see lots of old tires but I hardly ever see a wheel.

Funny how that sort of thing happens huh :huh:

Congrats man, now get out there and teach!!! :dance:

Congratulations, Tom! You've worked hard on this, be proud of yourself. And that old wheel ain't so bad. Like Cudabait mentioned, I keep one in my logbook in case of back-up computer failure!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom