Diagram of Whiskey Wreck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

P_Abercrombie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone ever surveyed, mapped and drawn a diagram of the Whiskey Wreck? I understand that the wreck site is not static and features change over time. Just looking for a baseline.

Thanks.

Has anyone ever surveyed, mapped and drawn a diagram of the Whiskey Wreck? I understand that the wreck site is not static and features change over time. Just looking for a baseline.

Thanks.

I think Mat knows where it is. I heard it was not a great dive though too. You can get wet but....

Great dive? Surely not. But it can definitely be a good dive when conditions are right. You aren't going to get 50' plus viz but you can get 15' which is good enough for such a small site. The relief can be 8' sometimes and there are lots of fish to see in summer. If you spear it can be a rewarding beach dive. There is a place to park, a freshwater shower, a short walk to the beach, and it's free.

I'm not aware of any diagrams or site maps available to the public. I would imagine divemasters have mapped it for projects, though.

I'm sure SuprBugMan could hand sketch the wreck for you. Maybe he'll have something for you once he signs on and sees this post.

Sketch the wreck? He could probably give you the fin kick count from short to the wreck, and draw you a detailed image from memory.... to scale. LOL!

Sketch the wreck? He could probably give you the fin kick count from short to the wreck, and draw you a detailed image from memory.... to scale. LOL!

haha No doubt. I bet he has 100+ dives on it alone. I'd be willing to bet no one has dove it more than he has.

I think you are right about that...my first low viz. dive after being certified two years ago was on the Whiskey with BugMan. I call it my first Braille Dive. I held on to Mat's B.C. much of the dive while he led me around the wreck. Pretty funny now that I look back on it...and Mat as always was very patient with a new diver. Still can't tell you what the wreck looks like...but I know what it feels like.:D

haha No doubt. I bet he has 100+ dives on it alone. I'd be willing to bet no one has dove it more than he has.

Years ago South Bound and Sub Sea-Level Dive Shops use to carry them. Down Under I believe still has maps but I believe they just show you how to get to the wreck land wise. You might try asking them their on 59 on your right just before you make the beach. I don’t know if Gary would carry such a map or not. During the winter months we use to pull clam shells from the wreck on the North side as big as dinner plates. The viz can range from zero to 80+ and have seen evidence of some nice fish taken off it not just Flounder . If your coming in the next few weeks bring a gun or pole there is a Sheepshead tourny going on right now some nice prizes are being given out

If you would like to check out a better wreck try talking Mat into showing you our Paddle Wheeler there is still a good bit of structure left of it even a wheel it’s pretty cool and well worth the couple Min drive to it and just as short of a walk if not closer. Out of respect to the wishes of the locals that have spent much time finding this wreck and keeping track of it over the years I wont give out direction to it sorry but I have to live with these guys here

If you would like to check out a better wreck try talking Mat into showing you our Paddle Wheeler there is still a good bit of structure left of it even a wheel it’s pretty cool and well worth the couple Min drive to it and just as short of a walk if not closer.

I've been wanting to check out the Paddle Wheeler for some time now, but haven't been diving with anyone who was really interested. I was recently told by the guys at Down Under that it is not easily accessible by land any more because of some new property owners who aren't too keen on "trespassers". Is this not the case?

CivilE

I've been wanting to check out the Paddle Wheeler for some time now, but haven't been diving with anyone who was really interested. I was recently told by the guys at Down Under that it is not easily accessible by land any more because of some new property owners who aren't too keen on "trespassers". Is this not the case?

CivilE

The beach is public property. Access across someone's yard is trespassing. If the lot is vacant, I doubt the police would interfere, unless trash was left behind.

However, parking may be another issue, as now there are running/biking paths on the shoulder of West Beach, which by law shouldn't be blocked by a parked car. Maybe someone is parking in a rental building's parking lot.

Back
Top Bottom