Question DGX 'Stainless Steel Braided Flex Hose' - Anyone try one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TMurrr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looks like they have regulator hoses (22", 40", 60", 84") as well as a 22" BCD hose

Has anyone tried them? I guess they're heavier and 'more durable'?

I haven’t known about something similar till now, but in hindsight:
1- A couple of Mares second stages I got 2 years ago came with a rubber hose that has was labeled something like reinforced/impregnated… mainly saying it has a steel mesh inside
They were stage regs (VR) and sadly the hoses were 1m long; my intention was to use them as long hose/necklace regs

A few months back I saw an instructor friend using it for a deco bottle and they said they had good impressions of the hose strength

2- 2 weeks ago I bought a fleabay ancient 108, and it came with this
image.jpg

A “sous marine” spg; the hose feels like it’s stainless steel, and more likely a water pipe/fitting with the right threads

(Also walking at the plumbing section of a “hardware store” I saw a few of these that had the right sizing for regulators so I wouldn’t exclude it out

I can’t uninstall it at the moment as it’s really corrosion stuck to the spg; but the hose (~75cm) on it’s own doesn’t feel substantially heavier than normal rubber, a 2m one might
————
I think it should be a good to use one that’s actually designed for scuba, like the DGX, but do you really need that mich protection? Dealing with sharp overhead environments?

I would also suspect that the metal braiding can pull at hair which is a minor annoyance (ask me how I know 😅)

Corrosion? (Someone with actual experience maybe can shed some light)

I personally wouldn’t go out of my way to use (currently) one since I have no use case for one (maybe when I take up sump diving 🤷🏽‍♀️), YMMV

It does look very cool on the other hand so… I might have been tempted if shipping from the US wasn’t so taxing

Looks like they have regulator hoses (22", 40", 60", 84") as well as a 22" BCD hose

Has anyone tried them? I guess they're heavier and 'more durable'?

Sounds really painful once they start to "fray"

Having used lots of stainless steel wrapped or wire reinforced hoses for other industrial applications and I can tell you once one of those stainless wires brakes it leaves a nice little finger stabber that get you every time.

Sounds really painful once they start to "fray"

Having used lots of stainless steel wrapped or wire reinforced hoses for other industrial applications and I can tell you once one of those stainless wires brakes it leaves a nice little finger stabber that get you every time.
I was just going to say that, having been bitten by tiny wires is no fun.

Sounds like an impending nightmare
Thank you everyone for the input!
I doubt I’ll be changing over anytime soon

I was hoping for your in hand review.
Venmo me $11 (1/2 of one of the hoses) and I'll buy one and write up a review - I live drivable to DGX but am not thaaaat curious to have one first hand. Yet. :wink:

Venmo me $11 (1/2 of one of the hoses) and I'll buy one and write up a review - I live drivable to DGX but am not thaaaat curious to have one first hand. Yet. :wink:
don't have venmo; paypal? I'll add 2$ extra for basic saftey gloves 😅

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom